Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Thank-you, I have a mini wiener dag. 7 yrs old. He has an…

Thank-you , I have...

Thank-you , I have a mini wiener dag. 7 yrs old. He has an open wound on the left side of his butt area, looks like a hole or a blow out. The size of a thumb nail on a womans finger. We took him to have his glands expressed about 2 weeks ago and they said if it isn't done regularly he could get like an ulcer.next to thatarea. It looks like this is what they are talking about,. It is oozzing out a small bit of blood right now. Does he need to go see a dr.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Is the dog bleeding a lot?

No, more like a oozzing with clear liquid and blood mixture and he doesn't act like it hurts when he goes to #2 cause I just took him outside and he acts fine... I was surprised to see something was wrong because he acts fimne. I lifted the tail and he acts like it is sore but thatis all. Strange hole?

Veterinarian's Assistant: Phew. What is the dog's name?

Chester and I am long winded. sorry

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Chester?

No there is just this open wound on the side by his butt...??? I didn't know what to think about it??

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/19/2018
DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian

Hi

Dr. Paul Brazzell here

Can you send me a photo of the lesion?

Paul

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have to wait till my husband comes home to help me with that photo, he should be here at 4:30 or 5:00...is that okay???

That is just fine

In the interim I think that this is a ruptured anal gland abscess

You are likely going to need oral antibiotics

It will heal properly with them

Today you can apply warm compresses for five minutes 2-3 times

That will help with drainage and to keep it clean

And regular expressing of anal glands is NOT a good idea

Dogs with anal glands usually have an underlying allergy problem

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
perfect, I have made an appointment for Thursday at 400 at our vet.. thank-you I won't need the call now...so is it just 5.00 or more now. I kinda paniced. will that appointment be soon enough??

I think that is fine

Keep up with the warm compresses

And you can give Aspirin at 10.0 mg/pound twice daily with food

You can rate me now- I will leave this link open for your updates

Paul

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
You are great and I am relieved that you guys are there for me to call.. This is great to know ....Thank you Dr. Paul Bazzell. P.S. Chester loves you today!!!!

Very welcome!

Chat soon

Paul

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
$ 28.00 is well worth it..Thank-you sir

Thanks!

To rate me you just click on the little "rate now" button on your screen :)

Paul

DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian
DocPaul
DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian