Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a one year old german shepherd who has scabs on her…

Customer Question
Hi, I have a...

Hi, I have a one year old german shepherd who has scabs on her ear rips all of the sudden.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name and age?

Chloe and she is one year old

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Chloe?

One

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/19/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Stacy, Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. Stacy
Dr. Stacy, Veterinarian

Thank you for your question. My name is***** I have been a small animal veterinarian for 15 years and I'd like to help with your question.

Can you tell me if she has any other skin problems.... does she scratch or itch? does she have redness or hair loss anywhere else on her body? and are her ears clean and normal inside?

She shakes her head and scratches a bit but it doesn't seem excessive to me. Her ears appear normal and clean to me and they don't smell. But the scabs have gotten worse and she seems to be losing hair on the tips of her ears where the scabs are

We call this crusting at the ear tips ear tip dermatitis... it just means that there is inflammation at the tips of the ears and it happens for a number of reasons. In a young dog it can be caused by a mite called demodex. This is a noncontagious mite that is typically not itchy, but causes hair loss and crusting and can occur at the ear tips. However ear margin dermatitis can also be due to bacterial infections at the ear margins, often related to allergic reactions. There are also cases of vasculitis (inflammation of the blood vessels) that lead to hair loss and crusting at the ear tips. This occurs because the inflamed blood vessels don't bring blood to the ear tips well and the blood compromise damages the tips.

Ideally you need to have some samples taken from the tips to look for mites or bacteria to guide treatment. This would have to be done at a veterinarian.

There are a few things that you can do at home that may help if you are not able to go to a veterinarian right away. These things would be aimed at treating a bacterial dermatitis and may not work if your dog has something else. First, you can try some antibiotic shampoos on the tips. I like Malaseb shampoo... you can probably find it online. Dilute it with some water and scrub then rinse the ear tips twice a week. The crust and the hair might come off initially and it might look worse at first, but then it will improve. Second, I would recommend adding some fish oil to her diet to improve the skin quality and resistance to bacterial infections. If this doesn't help then I would go to a veterinarian to get checked for demodex mites and probably start some allergy medications such as apoquel

I hope that helps, but if you have more questions please let me know. If all your questions have been addressed, please don't forget to rate my answer.

It is also possible to get ear margin dermatitis with ringworm or yeast, but I would consider this to be less likely and less common. That is also something a veterinarian could test for.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Stacy