Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog has a swollen red area below his anus but I'm not…

My dog has a...

My dog has a swollen red area below his anus but I'm not sure it has anything to do with the anal gland. He is very difficult to take to the vet (a Great Dane) as he gets extremely anxious in the car. He was at the vet about two weeks ago and his anxiety caused diarrhea in the car, at the vet, and for a couple of days afterward. His bottom has been red and sore ever since and now is swollen.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name?

Reese

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Reese?

He's 6 1/2 years old. I try to use the most natural treatments possible with him.

3/19/2018
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

1- Does he still have diarrhea?

2- Can you post a picture of the swelling?

Has he been licking this area?

No. He rarely licks anywhere but he really can’t get his body twisted around that far.

Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer. No need to accept the phone call request. Thank you.

Friend, the swelling, and redness in the picture are not related to the anal glands. This can be caused by an infection, contact allergic dermatitis, self-inflicted, etc. to name a few causes. I am going to make some recommendations that you can try at home. If no significant improvement in 1-2 days I would have him checked by a veterinarian for a hands-on examination. This is what you can try:

1- Do not let him lick the area, if he does, pick up an E collar (cone) in your local pet store to stop him from licking/gnawing the affected area.

2- Pick up in your local pharmacy "Hibiclens" antimicrobial soap or chlorhexiderm scrub. Wash area with this soap 2-3 times a day. If you do not find the above soap use over the counter antibacterial soap.

3- After washing affected area as above apply a topical cortisone cream. Do this 2-3 times a day for the next 7-10 days. You can buy cortisone cream over the counter in any pharmacy.

4- If no significant improvement after doing the above in 2-3 days follow up with your family veterinarian.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. Peter

Thank you. I have all of the items you mentioned.

Perfect!

You're welcome. :)

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian