Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 5 month old Newfoundland/hound pup just licked a little…

My 5 month old Newfoundland/hound...
My 5 month old Newfoundland/hound pup just licked a little of the resolve carpet cleaning foam. I caught her as she was coming around the corner but she was too fast for me and got a little “taste”. I rinsed her mouth out and gave her a little food to get the taste out of her mouth if it bothered her. She seems unphased just worried it will cause esophageal or gi irritation. Hopefully the worst part of this was my reaction. Any advice? It was the resolve high traffic carpet cleaner. Thank you!
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/19/2018
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you!

I am sorry to hear that your girl Neala licked a little Resolve carpet cleaning foam.

All carpet cleaners contain detergents, soaps and surfactants.

These are gastrointestinal irritants and can lead to drooling, vomiting and diarrhea with a loss of appetite. We do not recommend inducing vomiting in cases of possible ingestion as that only leads to further irritation of the esophagus.

In her case it sounds like very little was taken in, and you did the absolute right thing by rinsing her mouth and getting her to eat so the cleaner isn't sitting in her mouth or esophagus causing irritation.

At this point you just need to watch Neala for any symptoms, but I truly doubt that she will have any.

If she starts to drool or vomit we can do some things at home to ease her stomach and gastrointestinal irritation.

To try and settle her stomach you can try either:

1) Pepcid-ac (famotidine) at a dose of one 10mg tablet per 20 to 40 pounds of body weight every 12 hours.

OR

2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at a dose of one 20mg tablet per 40 to 80 pounds of body weight every 24 hours.

These will reduce stomach acid and should help settle her stomach. These can be used for several days as necessary as they are quite safe.

Then feed a homemade diet of 1/3 boiled hamburger or white, skinless chicken, all fats and juices drained and 2/3 white rice. Add 2 to 3 tablespoons of canned pumpkin, (not pie filling, just pumpkin), to each meal for fiber if she has any mucousy diarrhea. Feed small meals several times a day.

Once she's feeling better then start mixing in her regular food, adding a little more regular and less bland at each meal. It should take a week to get her converted back to regular food.

If she continues vomiting, even after the acid reducing medication is given, refuses to eat or has explosive diarrhea it is best she see a veterinarian for an examination, injectable medications and oral medication like sucralfate to coat her gastrointestinal system.

But if she shows no symptoms there is no need for you to do anything. That is very likely to be the outcome with a small ingestion.

It has been my pleasure to help you today, and I hope that I have earned my 5 star rating. Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). You are welcome to ask follow up questions about my response here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
She seems ok so far and is napping. Hopefully nothing will happen....potty training and diarrhea...not a fun combo. Thanks Again!!

Excellent, glad to hear she seems perfectly comfortable. I agree that vomiting an diarrhea in a Newfie would be no fun! I think that she will be fine however given her behavior now.

Please let me know if things change and you have any questions.

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Hi Christy,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Neala. How is everything going?

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian