Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Owner/Veterinarian at Austin Home Vet Care
98332838

My italian greyhound is having some problem walking.

Customer Question

My italian greyhound is having some problem walking. Specially with back legs
JA: I'll do all I can to help. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: no wound
JA: What is your dog's name and age?
Customer: 16 years old
JA: How old is 16 Years Old?
Customer: My dog name is ***** ***** he is 16
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Greco?
Customer: Well he still eating well but not sleeping too good.d
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Rachel replied 8 months ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer.com! My name is***** and I have been a licensed veterinarian for 10 years. I would be happy to answer your question. I'm sorry to hear that Greco is having a hard time walking. At his age, the most likely cause is arthritis. I would get some over-the-counter glucosamine/chondroitin supplement and put it in his food twice daily (you can pierce a capsule open and pour the liquid onto his food). That will help lubricate his joints.

You would also need to address the inflammation and pain the arthritis is causing. Most commonly, carprofen is used. The one caveat is that it can be hard on the kidneys if there is early kidney disease. I recommend getting him to your vet for some lab work first, to make sure kidneys are healthy enough to process the medication. It would be a good idea to have the lab work done, anyway, to make sure he does not having any conditions associated with old age, such as liver disease, hypothyroidism, and diabetes to name just a few. If the lab work shows early kidney disease, there are other pain medication options for the arthritis, such as tramadol and gabapentin.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Where can I get these med for him?
.

You can get the glucosamine/chondroitin at any pharmacy. You would need to get the pain medications from your vet, as they are prescription only.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thank you doctor Rachel I guess I can give him one of this med daily on his food right? Also, I am allow to give him some aspirin for his arthritis?.

Yes, you can give the medication in food. I don't recommend giving him arthritis because it can also be difficult on the kidneys as well as the lining of the stomach. The veterinary pain products are safer for animals.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Great Thank you Dr. Rachel. I will get the glucosamine/chondroitin med and start right away. Do you know how long after he take it will I see improvement?

Yes, you should see an improvement within a week, but it might be hard to detect a difference without adding in the pain medication.

You're very welcome. If I have been helpful, I would greatly appreciate your 5-star rating. I would also be happy to continue our conversation if you have any further questions or concerns.