Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

She's throwing up & has diareah for 2 weeks. A red heeler…

Customer Question
She's throwing up &...

She's throwing up & has diareah for 2 weeks

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What sort of animal are we talking about?

A red heeler dog

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?

No

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. The Expert will know what to do. What is the dog's name?

She's in a large kennel with her mom who acted like this a month ago

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?

She seems to have lost a little weight and is kinda shaky like chills and her nose is dry

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/19/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** and I am a veterinarian that can answer your question. I understand your dog has been vomiting and having diarrhea lately. I am sorry to hear about what is happening. One of the biggest concerns we have when this happens is the risk of dehydration. This could constitute an emergency, so I am going to recommend a few ways to measure the hydration status. There are two methods. The first is to feel the gums. They should feel wet and slippery normally. If they feel dry or sticky then that is a sign of dehydration. This test only works if she is not panting. The second method is called the "skin tent test." This is performed by gently pulling up on the skin behind the shoulders and letting go when you feel resistance. Count how long it takes for the skin to return to a normal position. Normal is less than 2 seconds. Let me know what you find.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The gums are a little moist and when I pull it goes back slow
She seems to be wobbly and walking funny almost like some one a little dizzy

It sounds like she could be dehydrated. Vomiting and having diarrhea off and on for two weeks could certainly cause this. No matter the underlying cause, it will be more difficult for her to recover if she is dehydrated, so treatment from a veterinarian is going to be recommended. There are many causes of vomiting and diarrhea consisting of an infection, foreign body, parasite, sudden food change, food allergy, inflammatory bowel disease, organ inflammation, etc. There are some over-the-counter remedies you can try to help her feel better, but she should definitely be seen by your veterinarian to treat the dehydration.

One option to help decrease nausea is to give an over-the-counter Pepcid AC. This is the same Pepcid used for people. The dose for a 20 lb dog is 5 mg (i.e. 1/2 tablet) every 12 hours. Let me know if she weighs more or less than that and I can calculate the dose for you. Giving kaopectate, which is also sold over-the-counter, is helpful for dogs with diarrhea. Finally, feeding a low fat diet only such as boiled chicken or white rice in very small amounts at a time will help with nutrition and hopefully not stimulate further nausea.

Does that help to answer your question?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
She do sent want to eat anything
Just gave her peptic
I have all animal eltroites would that help
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I am on disability and can not afford a vet they charge too much, so no the sugestion you gave I all ready knew and going to a vet I can't afford
Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian