Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I heard there is a Tuna and Rice diet for dogs. I have a…

I heard there is a...
I heard there is a Tuna and Rice diet for dogs. I have a Bichon Frise (small) that should weigh maybe 14 lbs. She weighs 19.8 lbs. My husband feeds her from his plate which I keep asking him not to. I have a friend of a friend that put her dog on Tuna (in water) diet and rice. What do you suggest, beside the obvious (my husband). LOL
3/19/2018
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Dog Veterinarian

Welcome to JustAnswer.com! My name is***** and I have been a licensed veterinarian for 10 years. I would be happy to answer your question. I do not recommend a tuna and rice diet for dogs because it does not contain fats or calcium, which dogs require. If your husband wants to give her treats, he can give her things like apple slices, carrot sticks, and green beans (no onions, garlic, chocolate, raisins or grapes). You can also let him know that the vet said she is at risk for getting diabetes and having arthritis pain from being overweight. It can be hard to stop feeding them table food, but a better way to show affection is to spend time with her by taking her for walks or playing with toys.

What do you recommend for food? Also how much per day? Can you split that into two feedings?

All good questions. There is a prescription weight loss food called Hill's R/D which is lower in calories but can be fed in the same amount as he is getting currently, so that he is not hungry but still loses weight. I recommend measuring how much food you are currently feeding to know how much of the diet food to give him. If he hasn't lost any weight in a month, I would cut down on the food a little.

Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Dog Veterinarian
Thank you Dr. Rachel

You're most welcome.