Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have six dogs in season and happy again the brain process.

Customer Question
I have six dogs...

I have six dogs in season and happy again the brain process. I initially took them to a veterinarian for progesterone test. A few days later three of the five dogs that I'm going to breed started coughing and now have a nasal discharge. Two of them have white clear thick discharge, one has yellowish redish discharge

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Coughing can be worrying. The Expert will know what you should do. What is the dog's name and age?

Buns is three years old, Daisy is a year and a half, and butters is 3 1/2 years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Buns, Daisy, butters,

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?

They are French bulldogs most of them that are experiencing the nasal discharge are not coughing at least not very much Daisy however is coughing quite a bit and not acting like herself. I probably caught this at the progesterone lady's house. It was clean but it frequently has many dogs per day there for testing. And yes I made the mistake of allowing my dogs to walk on the ground and see if the ground

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/19/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help with this concern about your dogs.

Please give me a time to type back a response for you. Thanks for your patience, Deb

In this sort of situation, especially when multiple dogs are experiencing similar symptoms, I'd assume that they all have Kennel Cough or an upper respiratory infection.

Kennel cough is secondary to either a viral or bacterial infection and can be contagious between dogs. If a bacterial infection, then these dogs respond to oral antibiotics pretty quickly. But if this is a virus , then it will have to run its course....which is usually between 10-14 days. Kennel cough tends to worsen before improvement is seen and gradually improves rather than abruptly stopping unless this is a bacterial infection and antibiotics are started.

As to safe antibiotics to dispense since you plan to breed, if they were my patients, I'd dispense either Clavamox or Cephalexin.

There are other conditions such as pneumonia or Canine influenza which mimics kennel cough in the early stages but these dogs rapidly become sick.

As to over the counter treatment options, cough suppressants can be given although I'm often hesitant to use them if kennel cough is the problem. I want those secretions removed from the upper airways and I rarely want to inhibit this reflex. I might also be hesitant to use them since you plan to breed.

I would advise that you feed dry dog food (if this is what you feed) soaked in water for 15-20 minutes which turns the food into mush and is less likely to cause more irritation when it's swallowed.

I hope this helps, Deb

Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian