Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

She had a seizure on Saturday and another one this am.

She had a seizure...

She had a seizure on Saturday and another one this am. Today’s was less severe. Emergency vet service did blood tests and found nothing. She didn’t lose consciousness either time. She ate something foreign on our walk on Sat. Could that be it?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Disney. Four years old.

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Disney?

4

3/19/2018
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Disney. To answer you directly, no, I dont believe so. Seizures related to the ingestion of a toxin aren't expected to be sporadic but, instead, persistent until the toxin is excreted.

You appear to be describing a complex partial seizure (also called psychomotor seizure) which is described as abnormal focal or asymmetric sensory or motor activity affecting any part of the body and which may be associated with autonomic signs, (salivation, vomiting, e.g.) and is associated with a change in mentation (mental status) and/or behavioral abnormalities. (If consciousness is lost a general seizure (previously called gran mal) is diagnosed.) Sleep is the most common post-ictal (post-seizure) symptom. Mark your calendar for these events and for just what you witnessed. Disney's vet will need all the information you can gather when deciding if she should be prescribed an anticonvulsive drug. Most of us will accept one mild (lasting less than 5 minutes, no thrashing about, no loss of consciousness) event monthly before prescribing such a drug. Should Disney suffer another event within 24 hours of a prior one clustering is diagnosed and that may presage status epilepticus - the state in which seizure activity doesn't abate unless I heavily sedate or anesthetize my patient. She would then need the attention of a vet at your earliest convenience.

Seizures first arising between the ages of 1-5 years are usually considered idiopathic (unknown cause) epilepsy. Seizures arising after 6 years of age are often caused by brain tumor or, less commonly, adult onset epilepsy. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
a seizure Sat and one on Mon am are not considered “persistent”, therefore no related to a toxin?
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
BTW, your response was very helpful.

Correct. Rather than persistent, "episodic" describes seizures spaced in such a length of time. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks!

Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Are there blood tests that can be done to determine if there is a toxin or poison in her blood? The blood work found no abnormalities in the organs.

A few are readily and commercially available such as over the counter illicit drug test kits (urine). In the great majority of cases we rely on seeing if there are changes in the diagnostics of blood and urine.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
We had blood work done on Saturday, which showed no abnormalities in organs. Her symptoms have decreased, would you recommend having another blood test done today or wait to see how she does in the next 24 hours. She seems to get anxious when we ask if she wants to eat. She has been lying down all morning since her tremors this morning.

There's no reason for additional blood work. Monitoring her at this time is all that's needed keeping in mind the parameters I mentioned above.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The emergency vet called her episode ataxic because she never lost consciousness. Where does that fall in line with seizures.

Retaining consciousness only removes a general seizure (previously called gran mal) from the differential diagnosis list. Ataxia ("drunken sailor") is consistent with complex partial seizure, vestibular (balance) disorders, neuromuscular disorders, and generalized weakness associated with anemia, metabolic, and cardiopulmonary disorders.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you

You're quite welcome.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
one more question, would an xray be appropriate to have done?

Not unless something abnormal was heard in her chest or felt in her abdomen.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
She seemed interested in eating this morning, then became anxious when I put her food out. Hasn't eaten or moved bowels yet today except for an ice cube. She doesn't seem to want to move from the my bed. she seems interested then it's almost like she gets stressed out.

Seizures may come and go quickly but their post-ictal (post-seizure) effect can be quite lasting. Patience is required. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you. I've been using my Bemer on her as well. It seemed to help calm her down.

You're quite welcome. I have no experience with Bemers.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
she seems like she tremors when she tries to move. it's almost like she's scared to move

I expect that behavior to abate within 36 hours of the onset of her last seizure. If not, her vet might consider prescribing an anticonvulsant benzodiazepine such as diazepam (Valium) to give as need be.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
as i keep track, is this tremoring considered a seizure in addition to the tremors this morning?

No, post-ictal behavior instead. In some types of tremor syndromes, e.g., sporadic myoclonus - sudden contraction of a muscle group such as a facial twitch or limb jerk - focal seizure activity may be present.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Is it premature to go to a neurologist?

I never argue will seeing a specialist particularly if your regular vet is inexperienced with seizures. May I have an update on Disney, please?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
She stayed on my bed most of the day. She ate her dinner. Had a loose bowel movement. Seemed to venture out of my room a little more later in the day. Someone came to the door and she got up to protect us. She did a lap outside in the back yard after her BM. This morning she seems interested in going outside. I have an appointment later this am with a neurologist.

Thank you. I would like to be kept in the loop. Please let me know how the appointment goes.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Will do. Here's a link to info on the Bemer. No solicitation intended. Just wanted to let you know what I am doing with her. If you scroll down, you'll see the Veterinarian model. I'm using the pro model on her. It's what I use everyday for my overall well-being. toolsforabetterlife.bemergroup.com

Thank you!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Just realized that the first link that I sent is more focused on the device. Here's one that gives more info about what it is. Linda Tellington-Jones was instrumental in the developement of the Veterinar***** *****ne. http://www.meredithwholeliving.com/bemer-therapy/

Thank you once again!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The neurologist did an examination and thinks that Disney experienced vertigo. She said to keep an eye on her to see if she has anymore of the 'drunken sailor' incidents. I just checked in on her and she's shaking again. She's all by herself, there's no stress. Is that normal/ok? She never did that before, unless we were going to the vet or the groomer.

Thank you for the update. Shaking isn't related to vertigo. It often indicates pain, anxiety, or both but there are quite a few metabolic disorders that can result in shaking as well.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks. I guess I'll just keep making notes about what happens when and we'll go from there?

Correct. Keep a diary while monitoring. Both Disney's regular and specialist vet will need all the information you can gather when deciding what to do next...if anything at all.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you.

It's my pleasure.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian