Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog has cancer and now he is bleeding where he pees what…

Customer Question
My dog has cancer...

My dog has cancer and now he is bleeding where he pees what kind of pain pills can I give him. I cant take him to a vet cause I have no money can I give him human pain pills of the shelf

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know what to do about this bleeding. I'll connect you ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?

No hes walking and eating really good and going to the bathroom good

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/19/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 5 months ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with your dog. As for over the counter analgesia, caretakers are constrained to aspirin dosed at 10 mg per pound of body weight with food at 12 hour intervals or acetaminophen which can be dosed at 7 mg per pound of body weight thrice daily but isn’t antiinflammatory as is aspirin. You can give aspirin and acetaminophen concurrently which should provide better analgesia than either drug alone. When giving acetaminophen for longer than 5 consecutive days it's best to reduce the dose to 5 mg per pound of body weight twice daily. You must avoid the toxic ibuprofen and naproxen in dogs. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I don't know what any of those pills are except the aspirin but I'm going to write them down and show them to Wal-Mart and hope someone can help me. Thank You for your help.

Tylenol is a common brand name for acetaminophen but there are many generics. Yes, the pharmacist at Wal-Mart can help you get the correct analgesic for your dog. Fee free to share our conversation with the pharmacist. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?