Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

She has diarrhea. She has diarrhea. She doesn't. She has…

She has diarrhea Veterinarian's...

She has diarrhea

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the dog?

She has diarrhea

Veterinarian's Assistant: Where does the dog seem to hurt?

She doesn't

Veterinarian's Assistant: Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?

No

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. Nothing visually obvious. Is the dog eating normally?

Yes

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. No appetite problems. Is the dog having trouble peeing or pooing?

She has dirrhea

Veterinarian's Assistant: How is the dog behaving differently?

Not

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name and age?

Solo 8 yrs

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Solo

3/19/2018
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** and I am a veterinarian that can answer your question. I understand Solo is having diarrhea. I am sorry to hear about what is happening. One of the concerns we have with diarrhea is the risk of dehydration, so I am going to give you two methods to check the hydration status. The first is to feel the gums. They should normally feel wet and slippery. If they feel dry or sticky then that indicates dehydration. This test only works if Solo is not panting. The other test is called the "skin tent" test. This is performed by gently pulling up on the skin until you feel resistance. Let go of the skin and count how long it takes for the skin to return to a normal position. Normal is less than 2 seconds. If it takes longer than that then that indicates dehydration as well. Let me know what you find.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
she has wet gums

Thank you. Treatment for diarrhea is to give a medication and also to withhold all food for 12-24 hours. A good over-the-counter medication you can give to help resolve the diarrhea is called Kaopectate. You can also increase the fiber of the food to help bulk the stool. Fiber sources such as canned pumpkin or Metamucil can be given.

A low fat diet consists of things like boiled chicken, rice, or sweet potatoes. Feed this in small amounts. Water can always be offered, but again, only allow her to drink it in small amounts at a time. Keep monitoring her hydration status 1-2 times per day. If she continues to have diarrhea for more than 3 days of treatment then she should be treated by a veterinarian.

Does that help answer your question?

Just checking in. How is Solo doing?

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
this did help and you did answer my questions

Thank you for the update. Please let me know if you have any other questions. I am here to help. If you have no other questions, I would appreciate a positive review when you get time. Leaving a review does not close out your question and you can come back to any time to ask additional questions. You can leave a five star review at the top of the screen. Thank you.

Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian
Scott Perry
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian