Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

He's had some diarrhea off and on since late Saturday night,

Customer Question
He's had some diarrhea...

He's had some diarrhea off and on since late Saturday night, and I'm trying to figure out how best to treat him

Veterinarian's Assistant: What sort of animal are we talking about?

Dog - Feist - 2+ years old - 20 pounds

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dog?

He left three poops downstairs in our house at some point late Saturday night. One was solid and relatively normal. The other two were more along the 6-7 range on the dog poop scale.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name and age?

Finnegan - 2+yearsHe had a bad poop on a walk yesterday and then

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Finnegan?

2+ years

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Finnegan?

He left two more messes before I came down this morning, and has had two more bad poops while out walking today. He has plenty of energy and no shortness of breath issues or vomiting.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/19/2018
Dog Veterinarian: jadedangel57, owner replied 1 month ago
jadedangel57

Hi JaCustomer,

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is Jane. I have been involved professionally with dogs in the healthcare and behavioral fields for over 20 years. I’ve worked as a Vet Assistant and Behaviorist and have extensive experience in dog reproduction, as a breeder, for even longer than that.. Canine behavioral issues and training are also my specialties. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

Diarrhea can be caused by a large number of things including an unusual treat, irritable bowel syndrome, disease, bacteria or protozoan infection. If your dog is eating and drinking normally, Kaopectate at 1 teaspoon per 5 pound every 2 - 6 hours or Imodium at 1 mg per 15 pounds one or two times a day can be given for diarrhea. Read dosage information here that states Loperamide is also dosed at 1 capsule (2 mg) per 50 pounds (25 kg) if over 20 pounds (10 kg).

Some herding breeds like collies can have an adverse reaction to imodium so avoid using in collies and similar breeds. Canned pumpkin (not pie filling) will also absorb excess fluid in the bowel with just a spoonful added to the dog’s food. Some experts will recommend a bland diet for a few days of boiled chicken and rice.

If the diarrhea continues, have your dog tested for parasites such as worms or a protozoan infection such as coccidia or giardia. Here are sites on worms, coccidia and giardia, which you may find informative.

http://www.thepetcenter.com/exa/worms.html http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=2&cat=1622&articleid=727

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/giardia-in-dogs/page1.aspx http://www.beaglesunlimited.com/beaglehealth_giardiasis.htm

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you. Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Dog Veterinarian: jadedangel57, owner replied 29 days ago
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Customer
Dog Veterinarian: jadedangel57, owner replied 27 days ago

Hi Again,
I just thought I'd check in to see how things are going for you and your dog. I strive to provide the best answer possible. Did you find my answer helpful. If so I hope you will take the opportunity to let me know if this was helpful to you.

jadedangel57
jadedangel57
jadedangel57, owner