Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a 1 1/2 year old rescue female Had heartworm and had…

Customer Question
Good morning Veterinarian's Assistant:...

Good morning

Veterinarian's Assistant: Hello. How can I help?

I have a 1 1/2 year old rescue ***** ***** female Had heartworm and had been treated. She is acting fine, very energetic I notice that her belly is turning black. Also noticed her gums are as well in some spots She had been evaluated, last month I was told nothing was really wrong. Any ideas, don't know any more of her history

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. There are all sorts of infestations the dog can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the dog's name?

BELLA

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about BELLA?

Yes brought her in, was dismissed Nothing else I can think of, she eats well, her elimination status is wnl....

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/19/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I AM NOT SET UP TO MAKE PHONE CALLS, BUT I WOULD BE HAPPY TO ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS YOU HAVE ONLINE. THE WEBSITE SENDS THE REQUESTS; NOT MYSELF. With her age, it is most likely just a change in her skin (and gums) pigmentation. That happens often in dogs as they get older, and those areas may still chance when they get even older. If a dog has had some skin inflammation due to due allergies, the skin will often turn black once it heals, especially if they have been scratching there often. You can also get skin pigment changes with hypothyroidism as well. As long as none of the areas look like a mass (maybe melanoma - less likely with her age), or she is acting sick otherwise; it most likely isn't an problem and can be monitored. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

How do i know if it's hypothyroidism
What s/s am I looking for?

A blood test to check thyroid hormone levels has to be done to see if hypothyroidism. If she is acting normal otherwise with no other haircoat abnormalities, that most likely isn't the cause. It isn't common in a dog her age, but it isn't unheard of. She may also have hair loss, skin infections, a decrease in activity, a decrease in appetite, a dull hair coat, flaky skin and weight gain. Hope this helps.

Hi Colleen,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. John

Hello. I was just following up to see how Bella is doing and to see if you have any other questions.