Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have two Auusies and last thursday the one was vomiting…

I have two Auusies...

I have two Auusies and last thursday the one was vomiting and not eating. Took him to the vet gave hom gave him tramadol and Ganapentin

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?

Sorry I was not not finished LOL. The vet did xray and blood work and felt he pulled a muscle in his back. On sat my second Aussie had the same symptons. They both were getting better. Last night after giving the the Gabapentin he started acting sick again, neither are eating this morning. They eat Rachel Ray 6 doog food. The both had a roasted marrow bone ladt Wed. Not sure if that was it. We also have a 12 week puppy we rescued two weeks ago and she is fine

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name?

Bentley Charlie and Mia is the puppy

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the puppy?

I asked her and she felt is was Bentley's back. The puppy was spayed and has up to date shots.

3/19/2018
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner and I'm sorry to hear of this with your two dogs. Can you tell me why a back problem was incriminated by vomiting and anorexia? Two dogs experiencing these signs are't going to be suffering from a back problem. Those signs aren't pathognomonic (specifically indicative) of any one particular disorder but don't represent a back problem. Perhaps that bone is the culprit as they both received one and we also need to consider what else the two of them ingested that might have caused gastrointestinal distress or perhaps an infectious and contagious disease is present - bacterial, viral, or parasitic.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
When the vet did a exam on Bentley's back he jumped but the xray showed nothing serious so she felt it was back pain thst was making him sick. 2 days later my second Auusie jad yhe same symptons. I called the humane society and asked of there was anything contagious going around and they said no. My vet called a little bit ago and told me to stop the meds for Bentley. They would not eat chicken and rice this morning so i bought can food and they both ate. Vet said it would not be posion because all his blood levels were great. I asked about worms and she said 2 wewks of having the puppy would not be long enough to get worms. The puppy is healthy and has been wormed. They both are running around yhe yard plsying today. How can I be sure it's nothing toxic or parasites? Have you had any issues with the roasted bones?

Thank you for the good update. It appears as if they're normalizing at this time. Parasites can be detected by performing a fecal ova and parasite exam but because these exams are too often falsely negative I favor presumptive treatment with over the counter fenbendazole (Panacur) daily for a minimum of three consecutive days. Fenbendazole addresses all of the nematodes (roundworms, hookworms, whipworms) as well as the protozoan Giardia. We rely on finding changes in blood and urine tests typical of toxins. Readily available commercial testing for toxins is lacking save for over the counter illicit drug testing kits.

No, not specifically for roasted bones but we do see bacterially contaminated products such as these all too often. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you for the good advice. Do i get the over the counter meds at a pet store?

Yes, you can find Panacur in many pet, feed stores, or online. Please see here: https://www.amazon.com/Panacur-Canine-Dewormer-1-gram/dp/B00028ZLD6

Panacur comes in three different sizes. You're quite welcome.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you so much!

It's my pleasure. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have a question, i purchased the panacur at a feed store. Its made for horses. Im not sure how much to give a 50 and 40 pound dog?

That's not the appropriate product. It's fenbendazole but too difficult to dose down to dogs. You need to find the canine product...perhaps in a pet store.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok i went to one pet store and he told me to get the horse one and di the math, then i looked at an thought it ight not be what you were talking about. I will check the larger pet stores. Thanks again

You're quite welcome.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you so much! I got the panacure at Petco and they are doing much better today. I could have saved 400.00 if I asked you first.

Thank you for the good update and your kind accept. I appreciate it.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian