Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Has diarrhea and is throwing up won't eat or drink. Not that…

Has diarrhea and is...

Has diarrhea and is throwing up won't eat or drink

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?

Not that I know of

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. The Expert will know what to do. What is the dog's name and age?

Taco is about 4 months old

3/19/2018
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** and I am a veterinarian that can answer your question. I understand Taco is vomiting and having diarrhea. I am sorry to hear about what is happening. I need to ask a couple follow up questions to make sure I am giving you the best advice. One of the main concerns we have at this age is the risk of parvovirus. Has Taco been vaccinated for parvovirus, and was the vaccine given by a veterinarian?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Not that I know of we haven't had taco long about a week or so

Thank you for that information. Parvovirus is the #1 differential in this case. It can be very serious, so my first recommendation is to get Taco tested as soon as possible. The tests are not very expensive and are worth performing so that you can make an educated decision on the care. Intestinal parasites, foreign body, and food allergy / intolerance, or a sudden food change are the other common differentials for sudden vomiting and diarrhea.

Regarding treatment, there are a few things to discuss such as giving an over-the-counter remedy until you can see your regular veterinarian. The first thing to do is withhold all food for 12-24 hours. A good over-the-counter medication you can give to help control nausea is Pepcid. The dose for a 20 lb dog dose is 5 mg (i.e. 1/2 tablet) every 12 hours. Let me know if Taco weighs more than that and I can give you the dose for him. Kaopectate can be given to help resolve the diarrhea.

If no vomiting after 24 hours then you can feed him a low fat diet, which consists of things like boiled chicken, rice, or sweet potatoes. Feed this in small amounts. Water can always be offered, but again, only allow him to drink it in small amounts at a time. Make sure to see your veterinarian as soon as possible, but this is something you can give right now to help him.

Does that help to answer your question?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
That is help ful taco weighs under 10 pounds she hasn't eaten in two days. Gave her a syringe of pedyalite an some of upset stomach meds but she throws them right up.

The Pepcid dose for a 10 lb dog is 2.5 mg (i.e. 1/4 tablet) every 12 hours. One of the biggest concerns we have with vomiting and diarrhea is the risk of dehydration. This could constitute an emergency, so I am going to recommend a few ways to measure the hydration status. There are two methods. The first is to feel the gums. They should feel wet and slippery normally. If they feel dry or sticky then that is a sign of dehydration. This test only works if he is not panting. The second method is called the "skin tent test." This is performed by gently pulling up on the skin behind the shoulders and letting go when you feel resistance. Count how long it takes for the skin to return to a normal position. Normal is less than 2 seconds.

A loss of appetite for 2 days is not an emergency, but dehydration would be at this age and weight. If you are noticing signs indicating dehydration as discussed above then Taco should be taken tonight to an emergency hospital. Based on the fact that he could have parvovirus, I recommend to take him to the emergency clinic anyway for testing tonight.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. I am here to help. If you have no other questions, I would appreciate a positive review when you get time. Leaving a review does not close out your question and you can come back to any time to ask additional questions. You can leave a five star review at the top of the screen. Thank you.

Does that help to answer your question?

Just checking in. Are we still connected?

Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian
Scott Perry
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian