Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My puppy golden, Charlie, 12 wks, swallowed a plastic item…

Customer Question
Hi ! My puppy golden, Charlie...
Hi !
My puppy golden, Charlie, 12 wks, swallowed a plastic item yesterday. Wound up at a vet and after an attempt to have him vomit it up failed, they decided to scope it out. All of this made sense and I understood. It went well, he's fine (I was not! So worried!) He came out with aband shaved around his forearm that looks so yucky. Did they HAVE to do this? Or is it advisable? I want what's best for him, despite the aesthetics, but it is not pretty to see this on your new puppy. Will it take forever to be all fluffy like the other leg? I'm so sad (I know this is rather shallow of me). I'm scared it won't be normal ever again. Any thoughts? Thank you
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/19/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Veterinarian101, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Veterinarian101
Veterinarian101, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Luke and I would be happy to help you with your question. I am so sorry about your pet. I have over 19 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Are you available to discuss this situation online at this time? (if you get a phone call prompt from the system, please disregard as I am unable to do a phone call at this time).
***************

I'm sorry about Charlie's plastic incident.

Did he have an anesthetic or IV fluids?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
he was put under general anesthetic. I know they also did a blood draw.

Ok.

The shaved area is so they can insert the catheter for the anaesthetic and possibly for IV fluids. It is shaved so that the area can be made sterile and clean to avoid infection going into the blood. A larger than expected area is often shaved so as the catheter can be held in place with special tape - unfortunately fur moves and the catheter will fall out which could affect the safety of the anesthetic.

Can I help you any further before I log off?

Veterinarian101
Veterinarian101
Veterinarian101, Dog Veterinarian