Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My puppy golden, Charlie, 12 wks, swallowed a plastic item…

Hi Dr. Scott. My puppy golden...
Hi Dr. Scott.
My puppy golden, Charlie, 12 wks, swallowed a plastic item yesterday. Wound up at a vet and after an attempt to have him vomit it up failed, they decided to scope it out. All of this made sense and I understood. It went well, he's fine (I was not! So worried!) He came out with a band shaved around his forearm that looks so yucky. Did they HAVE to do this? Or is it advisable? I want what's best for him, despite the aesthetics, but it is not pretty to see this on your new puppy. Will it take forever to be all fluffy like the other leg? I'm so sad (I know this is rather shallow of me). Any thoughts? Thank you
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/19/2018
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian

Hello! First, I am glad to know Charlie is doing well after the procedure and they were able to get the plastic out. I can certainly understand how nervous you would feel with having to wait while Charlie is under anesthesia. So relieved to know it all went well.

Regarding the shaved hair, hopefully they told you this was the area they put in an IV catheter. The IV catheter is necessary to give the medications needed for anesthesia and also to give Charlie IV fluids while he was under anesthesia to make sure his blood pressures were adequate. So the IV catheter is certainly recommended. However, these catheters can be placed without shaving the hair, or at least shaving a very small part of it. This is up to the technician's preference who is placing the catheter. They may also say that shaving all the way around allows for easier removal of the tape so that it does not pull on the hair. That is also true. So the reasons to shave around the entire leg would be to make it easier to remove the tape from the skin. Many places will only shave a small section on top of the leg just where the IV catheter is going to be placed. It will take about 4-5 months for the hair to fully grow back, but it will look a lot more normal by 2 months and will have less skin exposed.

You are not alone in feeling sad about having the hair shaved. I have heard it a lot from people over the years and it is a reason why many veterinary hospitals do not shave all the way around. Hopefully that helped to answer your question.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. If not, would you please mind giving another rating? I would greatly appreciate it. Giving a rating does not close out the question and you can still ask follow up questions if you have any. Thank you!

Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian

I'm just following up on our conversation about Charlie. How is everything going?

Scott Perry