Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 10 month old puppy just got neutered 3 days ago. Not sure…

My 10 month old puppy...
My 10 month old puppy just got neutered 3 days ago. Not sure if it’s important but one testicle was in his groin. We just took him to the vet yesterday since he seemed to be in a lot of discomfort and had red dots on his inner thighs and the head of his prepuce. He got sent home with mometamax to apply to the prepuce and some benedryl since they thought it was an allergic reaction. The red spots are gone and the head of his penis looks a lot better, but he’s still in a lot of discomfort. He can’t walk a few steps without tucking in his tail in to sit down and is constantly whimpering. His pain medicine doesn’t seem to do anything for this condition. I will attach a video if I can, but I’m wondering what this could be and should we schedule another visit to the vet?
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/19/2018
Dr. Peck
Dr. Peck, Dog Veterinarian

Greetings, I'm Dr. Peck, hopefully I can be of some help.

By 3 days post-op from a neuter most dogs are feeling quite well in regards ***** ***** pain related to the surgery. Older / larger dogs might be more inclined to be a bit sore longer, but a 10 month old small breed like Tenchi I'd anticipate being right as rain by 3 days post-op. He could be in more pain due to not having a routine neuter since you report he was inguinally cryptorchid. I'd suggest having him checked again just to be sure all is ok, and perhaps they might add on an additional pain medication for him if no concerns are identified on examination.

I hope that helps, let me know if you have additional comments or questions, write me back and I will reply as soon as I am able to.

Please also be sure to kindly rate using the stars on your screen, this is how I receive credit for helping with your question today, thanks! - Dr. Peck.

Dr. Peck
Dr. Peck, Dog Veterinarian