Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog ate some rat poison. All I know it was blue. He's…

Customer Question
My dog ate some...

My dog ate some rat poison

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Did you see what your dog ate?

All I know it was blue

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?

He's healthy

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/19/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a fully qualified vet from the UK and have spent the last thirty years or so treating dogs, cats, and smaller pets. I will be very glad to help you today, please allow me ten minutes or so to review your question and type things up, I will then get straight back to you.

But before I can start I need a little more information to make things clearer to me, so could you please confirm the following :

1. How long ago did this happen { How many minutes or hours ago }?

2. How much does your dog weigh { In pounds }?

45 min ago
15 lbs

Great! typing up your answer now ...

Are you there

Hello again,

I have very quickly worked out an answer for you below.

1. Where a dog swallows any sort of substance not intended for it then one of the best things you can do in this sort of situation is to make your dog sick immediately and try to recover the rat poison that way. If you can do this within the first hour after ingestion then things should be OK. For the sake of speed, I will give you a link on how to do this best: LINK

{ Also be aware that an ER vet will be able to quickly induce vomiting with prescription drugs }

2. However, if you fail to induce vomiting then you should have your dog checked over by a vet without delay as there is a good antidote available for many sorts of rodent poison, even if you do manage to induce vomiting then you may want to see your vet about the antidote as well as an additional precaution.

But in any case, I should be available online for you for the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if your dog's condition changes in any way or indeed if you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
I hope you have found my advice useful. Please now be kind enough to rate my service to you by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen, such feedback greatly helps me maintain the quality of my answers. Rating me now does not close your question, we can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box to get back to me at any point. Many thanks ...

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how your dog is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the rat poison ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Dog Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian replied 3 months ago

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?