Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

He just ate the fat out of the garbage that I pulled off a…

He just ate the...

He just ate the fat out of the garbage that I pulled off a 3.5 pound corned beef.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Murphy is 8.5 and 48 pounds

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Murphy?

He is otherwise a healthy active dog- but doesn’t usually get table scraps

3/19/2018
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a fully qualified vet from the UK and have spent the last thirty years or so treating dogs, cats, and smaller pets. I will be very glad to help you today, please allow me ten minutes or so to review your question and type things up, I will then get straight back to you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you Dr. Scott.

Hello again,

I have worked out an answer for you below.

1. Well, the good news is that there is nothing toxic in what your dog ate { The fat and such } so he may get away with this, but that said some dogs may perhaps develop a mild transient bout of vomiting and/or diarrhoea in this sort of situation, this can happen when a dog gorges on almost anything unusual. However, if Murphy is acting normally at present then you will be taking very little risk if you just observe him for now, but I will give you a few tips on how to handle thing should a mild stomach upset occur { It may well not }.

1. I am aware that some owners use Pepcid to treat their dogs with gastroenteritis and report success. Here is a link to a web page which has all the information you might need including dose rates: LINK

2. Some owners try and control the situation with diet alone before they try anything else. This is logical and often works, the basis of this is to give the intestinal tract a complete rest and then bring it back slowly to function, resting the alimentary tract is the critical factor. It would go something like this ...

A. Starve him for 24 hours but make sure he has access to water.

B. The next day feed him four or five small light meals in the day. These meals should be the likes of chicken, fish, scrambled egg etc. with a little rice.

C. If he picks up on this diet gradually reintroduce his normal diet over the next few days.

3. Live yoghurt added to the food can often help. Some gastro-enteritis situations are caused by an imbalance in the bacteria in your dog's gut. Live yoghurt is full of " good " bacteria and will seed them into your dog's intestinal tract and restore the balance. You do not need to give much, two tablespoons twice a day is fine for larger dogs such as Murphy.

Of course, if adverse symptoms do arise and if any of the above does not quickly start to work or if he then deteriorates further in any way you should have your vet check him over just to be on the safe side, but hopefully this will be unlikely. But in any case, I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Murphy's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
I hope you have found my advice useful. Please now be kind enough to rate my service to you by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen, such feedback greatly helps me maintain the quality of my answers. Rating me now does not close your question, we can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box to get back to me at any point. Many thanks ...

Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian