Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

15 lb dog ate 5 mg melatonin 10 min ago. Induce vomiting or…

15 lb dog ate...

15 lb dog ate 5 mg melatonin 10 min ago. Induce vomiting or not?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Mocha 6 mos old

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?

Good health and fixed female

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/19/2018
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
K

Does the melatonin have Xylitol (see ingredients)?

1- Does it say the milligrams?

2- How long has it been since she ate it?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
5 mg of melatonin x y l i t o l is the number one ingredient listed under other ingredients. It's been 15 minutes now
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Now 20 minutes

Friend, the melatonin is not going to be a problem. But, the Xylitol can cause hypoglycemia and liver problems in dogs. If they do not state the milligrams I will not be able to calculate a toxic dose. I would play it safe and try to make her vomit with hydrogen peroxide 3%. This is what you can do:

1- Give her 1/2 (half) tablespoon of hydrogen peroxide 3% orally to induce vomiting.

2- Allow her to walk for a minute and move her belly to mix stomach content with peroxide. If she does not vomit within 5-10 minutes, repeat it again. Can give a total of 3 times 5-10 minutes apart.

3- Please let me know if she vomits or not. I will be on stand by for the next 20 minutes.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service it is how I get compensated. See you again soon!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Dog has vomited supper and bile

Did you see the pill in the vomit?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No but it was a quick dissolve pill

Did she take the pill before or after eating dinner?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
After
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What should I watch for now? When can I give her water? Food?

It is likely that the pill could have dissolved within the food. If she vomited bile there was nothing left in the stomach. As far liver toxicity as a result of xylitol the dose is higher than the dose that causes hypoglycemia. I doubt there would be enough xylitol in 1 pill to cause liver toxicity to a 15 lbs dog. As far as the hypoglycemia, it can occur within the first hour of ingestion. I would recommend you feed her within the next 15-20 minutes. I would give smaller meals but more frequently like every 3-4 hours for the next 24 hours.

Symptoms that would require a vet visit are weakness, lethargy, pale gums, vomiting, difficulty walking, etc. If you see these symptoms give her a tablespoon of honey, pancake or karo syrup and take her to the nearest ER veterinarian.

Dr. Peter

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you so much ��

You're welcome. :)

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian