Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Our dog ingested a small tablet of Retainer Brite. She was…

Our dog ingested a...

Our dog ingested a small tablet of Retainer Brite. She was chewing on the individual packet when we discovered it. She is a small dog - 20-25 pounds, 2 years old. Happened about 15 minutes ago. What do you suggest?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Her name is ***** ***** years old.

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Caramel?

2

3/19/2018
Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Dog Veterinarian

I'm Dr. Jo and I'm a licensed veterinarian with more than twenty years of experience. I'm here to help with your question about Caramel and the retainer brite. I'm so sorry you are having this problem, but glad you're looking for the information you need.

You may join the conversation at any time by typing in ,what you want to say then clicking REPLY or SEND. Then we can chat back and forth until you're satisfied with the information I've provided. I'll do my best to earn your good rating, because that's the only way I receive any compensation for helping you.

In the meantime, in order to help me help you better, I'll need some more information. To start with, can you please tell me:

• Is she otherwise healthy and on no medications?
  • How is she acting right now?

I'll be standing by and awaiting your reply. Thank you.

She is very healthy. No medications. She is acting fine.

The main ingredient in retainer brite we worry about is sodium perborate. It can cause mild to moderate irritation to the lining of a dog's stomach and intestines. Toxicity isn't expected. An over the counter antacid such as omeprazole (Prilosec) at 20mg daily for a couple of days or famotidine (Pepcid) at 0.1mg/lb twice daily for a couple of days should suffice if you end up seeing signs of an upset stomach.

Caramel may not show any signs at all.

We do not want to induce vomiting, but it is possible she may vomit due to the irritating nature of the Retainer Brite.
If this happens, simply wait until the vomiting stops to resume food and water.

In most cases, this type of exposure is not a serious problem.

We don't have those things at home right now. Can we give her something like Pepto Bismol or Tums?

Nope... it's okay if you don't have those on hand right now. Better to give nothing at all, especially since she just ate. Pepto and tums are not the same, nor are they likely to be necessary.
It's okay to just keep an eye on her for now.

Thank you very much!
Okay, thank you for your advice!

You're welcome.

Is there anything else I can help you with for now? I want to be as helpful as possible because I know what it's like to worry.

If that's it for now, please take a moment to rate my response with 5 STARS so I may receive credit for helping you today. Thank you for using our website.

Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Dog Veterinarian
I think we are good for now. Thanks for putting our minds to rest.

You're welcome. I hope the rest of your evening is uneventful.