Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I'm not sure. I was not able to find a 37.5 MG capsule of…

Customer Question
I'm not sure....

I'm not sure. I was not able to find a 37.5 MG capsule of Venlafaxine. I don't know if she found it and ate it. I want to know what to look for if she did.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?

Misty is 7 1/2 months

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Misty?

She weighs about 10 lbs.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/19/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, my name is***** thank you for your question. I am a fully qualified vet from the UK and have spent the last thirty years or so treating dogs, cats, and smaller pets. I will be very glad to help you today, please allow me ten minutes or so to review your question and type things up, I will then get straight back to you.

Hello again,

I have worked out an answer for you below.

1. Actually, my experience is that this drug { Effexor} is not particularly well tolerated in dogs, while it is unlikely that 37.5 mg would lead to a fatal incident is a 10-pound dog you could well see distressing side effects such as vomiting, lethargy, agitation, vocalisation, tremors, and even seizures. You might expect adverse symptoms to start to appear within two hours of ingestion.

2. If there is any chances that Misty swallowed this drug within the last hour or so then one of the best things you can do in this sort of situation is to make her sick immediately and try to recover the Venlafaxine that way. If you can do this within the first hour after ingestion { Two hours at the absolute outside } then things should be OK. For the sake of speed, I will give you a link on how to do this best: LINK

But in any case, I should be available online for you for the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Misty's condition changes in any way or indeed if you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
I hope you have found my advice useful. Please now be kind enough to rate my service to you by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen, such feedback greatly helps me maintain the quality of my answers. Rating me now does not close your question, we can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box to get back to me at any point. Many thanks ...

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Misty is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the Venlafaxine capsule ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Dog Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian replied 30 days ago

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian