Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog ate a cooked veal bone :/ Stella, 1.5 years old,

My dog ate a...

My dog ate a cooked veal shank bone :/

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is your dog's name and age?

Stella, 1.5 years old, Vizsla

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Stella?

Nope, she ate it about 6 hours ago, seems tired

3/18/2018
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

I understand that Stella ingested a cooked veal shank bone and is now lethargic and you are concerned.

She may be quiet because this is a rich food and her body is having a difficult time digesting it. Of course the other possible complications can be an obstruction or a perforation from a sharp edge.

While I understand that getting that bone out would be nice I do not recommend inducing vomiting in cases where dogs eat sharp objects like bones. The chances of tearing her esophagus or stomach as it contracts to force the bone out is much too high. I hope she at least chewed the bone up into small pieces before she swallowed as that will make passage a little easier.

In this case we need to try and hope that we can get the bone pieces to pass through her gastrointestinal tract, and that her stomach acid helps us by dissolving the fragments.

To help I recommend starting with a Vaseline (or any generic, nonscented petroleum jelly) sandwich. Take a slice of whole wheat bread, slather with Vaseline as you would peanut butter on a slice of bread, cover with a second slice. Feed it to her bite sized piece by piece or she will make a huge Vaseline mess. This adds fiber and hopefully makes the bones pieces slip rather than catch.

For the next few days, until the bones pass, she'll need to be fed a bland diet with lots of fiber added in small meals, several times a day, 4 to 6 meals is ideal. We do this so the bone pieces are surrounded, the gut isn't irritated contracting on just bone.

A homemade diet for this is 1/3 boiled, lean hamburger or boiled, white, skinless chicken, all fats and juices drained the meat, and 2/3 boiled, white rice. Add 2 to 3 tablespoons of canned pumpkin, not pie filling, just pumpkin, to each meal for fiber.

You'll need to check all of her stools for bone pieces in the next few days.

Signs that things aren't going well, and she needs an immediate veterinary visit, are vomiting, a tense painful belly, complete lack of an appetite, a fever (more than 103.5F rectally) and severe lethargy.

If you aren't seeing bone fragments in her stools in the several days a veterinary visit and an abdominal radiograph to see where the bones are is an option. If it doubt at all that things aren't going well it is always best to have her checked.

Once the pieces are passed and she's feeling well then start mixing in her regular food, adding a little more regular and less bland at each meal. It should take a week to get her converted back to regular food.

It has been my pleasure to help you today, and I hope that I have earned my 5 star rating. Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). You are welcome to ask follow up questions about my response here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
thanks so much. ok we're gonna try the Vaseline sandwich and diet like you said. have you ever heard of the cotton ball idea as well?

I have heard of it. But if the cotton balls fall apart the fibers can be very irritating to the intestinal lining.

I prefer lubricants, and increasing fiber.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok thanks a ton for the help.

You are very welcome, my best to your pup.

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian