Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

She has some type of abrasion on her leg. I just noticed it…

She has some type...

She has some type of abrasion on her leg. I just noticed it today. She's not limping, but the area is swollen and hot to the touch.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

Yes, no luck there.

Veterinarian's Assistant: The Expert will know what to do. What is the dog's name and age?

Pea and she's about 6.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Pea?

Um, she's never had this happen before. Doesn't have a history of hives or other skin anomalies or allergic reactions.

3/18/2018
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you today! Please give me a few moments to respond and I will be back momentarily!

Are you able to post a photo with the paperclip attachment available on your screen? Once posted it will take me a few minutes to respond accordingly so please bear with me while I respond

This appears to be a lick granuloma. CLICK HERE for more information. I can give you recommendations to minimize infection and reduce healing time but if there is continued discharge or it is not healing then please have your vet evaluate the lesion to ensure additional medication is not warranted.

1.) No licking! This occurs when a dog chews a spot on their leg without reprieve so breaking the cycle of chewing is key. Please put a t-shirt on or a cone to prevent her from reaching the area. Licking introduces oral bacteria to the area and can increase risk of inflammation and infection

2.) Use ivory soap and water or dog oatmeal shampoo to the area twice daily with ten minute contact time before rinsing and tap dry

3.) I prefer to not apply salves or ointments because it traps in moisture to the area and reduces healing or delays healing time. If needed you can put a very thin layer of a triple antibiotic on the area after cleaning

4.) Remove any scabbing that occurs with healing. Again it also traps in moisture and then can actually abscess

5.) If there is licking or rubbing please begin benadryl 1 mg/ pound every 8 hours for reducing the itch but may cause mild sedation.

6.) Sometimes laser therapy is effective in reducing these lesions and preventing recurrence

Please let me know if this information makes sense and any additional questions i can assist with or clarify today. Stopping the cycle of licking is key so if you have to use a cone please do so to stop her from chewing/ licking this site

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Thank you!