Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My chihua 5lb ate part of a choco;ate cupcake. should i do…

My chihua 5lb ate...

My chihua 5lb ate part of a choco;ate cupcake. should i do the hydrogen peroide/water? how much?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What sort of animal are we talking about?

chihuahua 5 lb dog

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. The Expert will know if the Chihuahua will be able to digest that. What is the Chihuahua's name and age?

Ollie 2.5 years

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the Chihuahua's name?

Ollie or Oliver

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the Chihuahua?

He ate a candy at halloween and vet induced within 15 min

Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
3/18/2018
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

1- How much of the cupcake did he eat?

2- How long has it been since he ate it?

3- Any symptoms?

15 minutes I think about three large bites. No
No symptoms. I t no call . I have put one teaspoon hydrogen peroxide to one teaspoon of water but don’t know how much to give him

Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer. No need to accept the phone call request. Thank you.

Ok

Friend, it is not likely for 3 bites of a chocolate cupcake to be life-threatening to a 5 lbs Ollie. However, to be on the safe side I would try to make him vomit with hydrogen peroxide 3%. This is what you can do:

1- To induce vomiting give him 1/2 (half) teaspoon of hydrogen peroxide 3% orally. No need to dilute with water. 2- Allow him to walk for a minute and move his belly to mix stomach content with peroxide. If he does not vomit within 5-10 minutes, repeat it again. Can give a total of 3 times 5-10 minutes apart.3- If he does not vomit after the 3rd dose or you do not see the chocolate in the vomit, observe him for the next 24 hours. If he becomes hyperactive, muscle tremors, changes in respiration, etc. have him checked immediately by ER veterinarian, these are symptoms that could progress to life threatening seizures or cardiac arrhythmias. If no symptoms after 24 hours (especially the first 12 hours) unlikely for any symptoms to develop.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service. If you have any follow-up questions don't hesitate to ask. If finished, please take a moment to rate my service it is how I get compensated. See you again soon!

Dr. Peter

Well I did it three times and he did not throw up. Seems fine tho. If Theresa food I can give him to help it out of his system let me know thank you for your help

Unfortunately, no, there is no food that can help. I would keep an eye on him as we discussed above.

You're welcome. :)

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian