Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

8 year old, 10lb Yorkie just got his vaccinations yesterday…

8 year old, 10lb...

8 year old, 10lb Yorkie just got his vaccinations yesterday and is extremely lethargic and unwilling to move. I am concerned he is in a great deal of pain. What can I do to help ease it for the next day or 2?

3/18/2018
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about your Yorkie.

Can you take his temperature? Normal rectal temp is 101.5 If this is a vaccination reaction, he may have a fever.

You could try 1/2 of a baby or low dose aspirin, with food. Is he eating?

If you lift his lip to check his gums, are they pink or pale?

Do not give Advil or Aleve, just baby aspirin; 1/2 with food once to twice daily.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
His gums are pink, our heat gun isn’t registering his temp correctly though and I’m not sure what else to try.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Okay, baby asprin. Got it. Thanks

The only accurate way to check his temp would be a rectal thermometer.

Good his gums are pink. Is he eating?

You are welcome; please let me know how he is doing.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
he is eating. Other than stiffness and a very slow gate he seems normal.

Kindly consider rating my answer to notify the website I am assisting you; you can always get back to me with questions and updates after rating.​

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Sure. Thank you

You are welcome.

Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian

Thanks for the great rating.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
You’re very welcome! Ha Ma for the fast reply.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks for (ugh spell check)

Don't you hate spell check?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Very much, lol. Have a great night.

You, too!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian