Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Diarrhea. 7 month old toy English Spa i. No change in food…

Customer Question
Diarrhea. 7...

Diarrhea. 7 month old toy English Spa i

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the dog?

No change in food or treats. I had given her some small bites of a halo orange.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the dog's name and age?

Mwayb

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?

Too many milkbon

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/18/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

1- Any vomiting?

2- Any blood in the diarrhea?

3- Is he lethargic?

4- How much does he weigh?

5- Any other symptoms?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
She weighs 8 lbs. no
She eats leaves and grass and has grabbed some halo orange
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Still a wild puppy
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Should I just wait? Feed dogs etc ?

Friend, diarrhea can be caused by many different medical conditions. I will not be able to pinpoint the exact underlying cause without a hands-on examination and some testing, I am sorry. But, common causes are dietary indiscretion, ingestion of a foreign body, infections, parasites, etc. to name a few causes. This is what you can do:

1- Pepto Bismol 1/2 teaspoon every 8 hours for 1-2 days.

2- No food or water for 8 hours, need to give her gastrointestinal tract time to rest. Then, offer a small amount of water followed by a diet of rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%) until the stool is back to normal then wean her back into her regular diet.

3- Supplement with a probiotic, these are friendly bacteria that help with regularity. You can buy this over the counter in any pet store.

4- If after doing the above you do not see improvement within 24 hours I would have her checked by your family veterinarian for a hands on examination. If she becomes lethargic or develops bloody diarrhea, vomiting, etc. have her checked by ER veterinarian.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. Peter

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok

Fair enough.

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian