Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

We picked up our dogs from the boarding kennel last

Hi, We picked up...

Hi, We picked up our dogs from the boarding kennel last Wednesday. They both have been throwing up.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?

We gave them their food so no dietary change.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name and age?

Dusty age 5 Rusty age 4.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Dusty?

They are Vizsla’s and they were in the kennel for 1 week.

3/18/2018
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

1- How long have they been vomiting?

2- How much do they weigh?

3- Any pre existing medical conditions?

4- Any other symptoms?

1. Every now and then, but really noticed Friday Saturday and today. Noticed they have not been eating.
2. Dusty 43 pounds Rusty 75 pounds
3. No medical conditions and up to date on all shots
4. Just not eating and throwing up.

Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer. No need to accept the phone call request. Thank you.

Ok thank you.

Friend, vomiting can be caused by many different medical conditions. I will not be able to pinpoint the exact underlying cause without a hands-on examination and some testing, I am sorry. But, common causes are a simple gastritis, dietary indiscretion, intestinal parasites, ingestion of a foreign body, infections, etc. to name a few causes. In any case of vomiting the first thing to do is give the stomach time to rest. This is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or Imodium. Start Dusty on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg and 20mg tablet for Rusty every 12 hours for the next 2-3 days. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.

2- No food or water for 8-12 hours. Need to give their gastrointestinal tract time to rest.

3- After 8-12 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer a small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.

4- If they continue to vomit or not eating after doing the above the next step is a hands-on examination by your family veterinarian.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. Peter

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian