Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My Boston terrier just ate 3 raw mild Italian sausages. Lexi…

My Boston terrier just...

My Boston terrier just ate 3 raw mild Italian sausages

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. The Expert will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is your dog's name and age?

Lexi she’s almost 3

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Lexi?

Nope she happy hearty healthy Just a little nosy

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/18/2018
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and will post back with your reply ASAP.

1- How long since she ate them?

2- How much does she weigh?

3- Any symptoms?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok, about 15 minutes ago, she weighs about 20 lbs, no she is acting normal, wants to play

Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer. No need to accept the phone call request. Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you

Friend, it is likely that nothing will happen from eating 3 raw Italian sausages. However, she could develop vomiting, diarrhea, pancreatitis, etc. I would recommend you keep an eye on her for the next 24 hours; if she develops vomiting and diarrhea this is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or Imodium. Start her on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg 1/2 tablet every 12 hours for 2-3 days. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.

2- No food or water for 8-12 hours. Need to give her gastrointestinal tract time to rest.

3- After 8-12 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer a small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.

4- If she continues to vomit after doing the above she will need to be seen by your family veterinarian for a hands on examination. If she becomes lethargic or restless, abdominal pain, pale gums, etc. do not wait and have her checked immediately by a veterinarian.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. Peter

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Peter
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Lexi is doing wonderful, actually other than being rolie polie like a log, She was just fine let the peace of mind I got from using just answer was amazing. I’ve told four friends about the site!

Fantastic, I am to learn she is doing okay. Thank you for the update. :)

Thank you for telling your friends about us. :)

Dr. Peter

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian