Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

She chewed on a corner of a miracle gro "tree and shrub"

She chewed on a...

She chewed on a corner of a miracle gro "tree and shrub" stake that I put into the ground this afternoon. (she dug it up and chewed on it.)

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the dog's name and age?

Nadia. She's 3.5 years old.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Nadia?

We also gave her the monthly does of flea and tick meds this weekend.

3/18/2018
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you today! Please give me a few moments to respond and I will be back momentarily!

It looks like the MSDS for this product lists it has a very high LD50 (lethal dose) so if she ingested a small amount you may see gi upset it should not be toxic to Nadia

As with any ingestion please monitor for vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, reduced appetite but I suspect you won't see any ill effects from this ingestion. Preventatively please get her to drink some water to dilute the effects, flavoring with maple syrup or no salt broth can help increase her water intake or feed a small meal with water in the bowl

If GI upset is seen then please take a few precautions:

- Pepcid (famotidine) 0.25 mg per pound every 12 hours for 3 days

- Leash walks to help the ingredients pass more readily of >15 minutes

- Next meal should be a bland diet of white rice and lean boiled meat such as chicken in small more frequent meals but waiting at least 12 hours after vomiting has subsided if there is this symptom

Indications your dog should be seen by a veterinary er sooner include: sticky gums that are pale, yellow, blue, purple, temperature rectally >103.5, progressive lethargy with less responsiveness to you, vomiting or diarrhea that includes blood, resting respiratory rate (breaths per minute) >60, swollen abdomen.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions I can assist with or clarify.

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Phew. This is great news! Thanks so much!

You are very welcome, hopefully there will be no ill effects but knowing what to monitor for is key. Thank you for the positive rating and I will be online a few more hours tonight if anything changes

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian