Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog was diagnosed with a heart murmur. She is 14, a

My dog was diagnosed...

My dog was diagnosed with a heart murmur. She is 14, a chihuahua. The vet diagnosed a level 4 and prescribed meds. Then, when the dog did not get better, she said that she believed the dog had something wrong with her female organs because she had not been spayed and had just come out of heat. I can't remember the problem, but she did surgery to spay the dog and remove this huge mass that she said was full of infection. The dog got much better quickly, and they could not hear the murmur for several months. Then, on a follow-up visit, the vet heard a level 2, but did not put the dog on meds because she is not coughing, eating well, and was very active. Today, she was fine in the morning, but now has thrown up fluid and is lethargic.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?

Not that I can think of. I am taking her to the vet in the morning.

3/18/2018
DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian

Hi

Dr. Paul Brazzell here

She had a condition called "Pyometra". This is a uterine infection.

I am happy about the murmur- No need for meds it sounds like

When was the surgery?

Paul

The surgery was in mid-December.

Thanks

I am not too panicked just yet

Likely just acute gastritis

Lets give her Pepcid AC- one half of a ten mg tablet now and one half in the AM

NO food for rest of day

Water, pedialyte and no salt chicken broth are fine

And yes, good idea to have her checked in the AM

Okay?

Paul

DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian
Thanks.

Very welcome

Dont hesitate to keep me updated

Paul

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

DocPaul