Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

We have a 4 year old German Shepard/Coon Hound. he has

We have a 4...

We have a 4 year old German Shepard/Coon Hound. he has started having a shaking in his head in the morning. it is not violent but only like he is cold and only his head has the shivers. Then it goes away. it seems to last about 10 to 15 mins.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the dog's name and age?

Bear and he is 4 years old

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Bear?

4

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Bear?

No he came to us as a stray from out of Prescott, AZ

3/18/2018
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Dog Veterinarian

Welcome to JustAnswer.com! My name is***** and I have been a licensed veterinarian for 10 years. I would be happy to answer your question. It's puzzling that Bear has been having these episodes of shaking his head. Does this happen only in the morning? Is it when he first wakes up?

Seems to only be in the morning. The other thing is we have had company for the last 3 weeks staying with us. He is a very sensitive big boy. i think he is afraid we are going to send him away. he is a bit heavy for his size because i do spoil him. i do know he was raised on dry food the brand being O'Roy from Walmart. I have tried to give him a better food with more protein and vitamins but it gives him really bad diareia. He now gets a mix of can and dry. He does get exercise at least twice a week. i do give him a pet vitamin daily and I use to give him a probiotic. He has also always had a problem with his ears. they were very dirty and had them cleaned and now i give him ear drops usually every week.

It's so sad that he might think you are trying to send him away! Sometimes dogs have bad dreams. It seems like he has been through a lot, and that might be contributing to his stress. It might help to buy him a Thundershirt from the pet store. It has a calming effect (basically it is like being hugged all the time). I also wonder if he might have an ear infection.

He does have a Thunder Shirt but does not seem to like it. I have put on one of his Dads T-shirts which seems to help when we get rain, wind or thunder storms. I am thinking the same about the ears though. I did check them this morning and and they are very clean but still put the medicine in and messaged them. I also gave him a composure to mellow him out. I also know that during the interim before we got him he may of gotten some sort of poison that made him very very sick. so that may be why he has the stomach problems. Not sure if it would cause this. He seems to be quit healthy.

Hmm it might be a good idea to have your vet examine his ear drums. If his anxiety isn't being fully controlled by the measures you are taking, I would also talk to your vet about an anti-anxiety medication such as fluoxetine.

I was going to make an appointment for him tomorrow to have him checked. I really seem to think it might be his ears, but didn't want the day to pass if it could be something much more serious. Thank you for putting my mind at ease a bit.

You're welcome. I would be happy to continue our conversation if you have any other questions or concerns.

Well do you think is should put him back on the probiotics. He always seem to have good days with is poop but then he goes through days when he has the diaritia. Its comes out runny, green and even mucus like. I can never seem to keep it consist. I feed him Pedigree wet and the Pedigree dry mixed in the evening. The better dog foods even make it worse.

It would not hurt to continue the probiotics, but I would ask your vet about getting him on a prescription, hypoallergenic diet trial to find out whether he has food allergies. He would need to be on the prescription food for at least 3 months, and get no treats or anything else during that period of time. If you see improvement in his stools while he is on the diet, but they are soft again when you put him back on his old food, that is an indication that he's got food allergies. I would also be sure to get his stools checked for parasites and small intestinal bacterial overgrowth. Mucous in the diarrhea is a sign of colon inflammation that usually responds to an anti-inflammatory antibiotic called metronidazole. So I would start by having your vet check a stool sample and treat with some metronidazole. If that doesn't fix the problem, a diet trial should be the next step.

My poor guy. He is just the kindest old soul. His eyes will may you melt. I want him to feel better so I will check with my Vet regarding you suggestions. Thank you so much for you help.

You're welcome. He is lucky to have such a caring owner. Good luck with him. If I've been helpful, I would greatly appreciate your 5-star rating. Thank you and have a great day!

Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Dog Veterinarian
you were very helpful. You have a wonderful rest of the day. One thing I did forget to tell you is we do catch him drinking from the swimming pool which is a chlorine pool.he gets fresh water everyday but loves drinking from the pool. Just thought of it.