Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog took 2 doses of Rimadyl & she will not vomit with…

Customer Question
My dog took 2...

My dog took 2 doses of Rimadyl & she will not vomit with hydrogen peroxide

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your dog eat anything unusual?

No, just her food and the other dog's too :(

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. The Expert will know what to do. What is your dog's name and age?

Lucy 11

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Lucy?

Just had teeth extractions - thanks

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/18/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Bruce. I have over 17 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok

Thank you for your question about Lucy and this situation. What is her weight? How many milligrams was each of the doses (mg per tablet that she got)? When did she get her previous dose and how much was that dosing?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
she weighs 15 lbs25 mg

Thank you for that information. So she got two of the 25 mg tablets? When did she have her last dose prior to this and how long ago was that?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
2 25s. she had her last one over 12 hours ago

What has her dosing been? 25 mg orally every 12 hours? How long has she been getting this?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
2 25s. she had her last one over 12 hours ago 25 mgs

Rimadyl when dosed is typically dosed at either 1 mg per pound every 12 hours (so 15 mg every 12 hours ideally) or 2 mg per pound every 24 hours (30 mg every 24 hours). If she was my case at my ER, I would have dosed her originally as 1/2 of a 25 mg tablet every 12 hours. If she got 50 mg of the Rimadyl, at her weight, that would be a dose of 7.35 mg / kg. Typically the concern for stomach ulceration / GI signs is when the dose is over 20 mg / kg as an acute dose. More than likely the risk here is very minimal with this situation. It isn't high enough to get to the renal issues either. Starting her on Pepcid AC 10 mg orally every 12 hours for 5 days, can help to protect her stomach if she is more susceptible to developing an ulcer. I would skip any further doses for at least 24 hours and honestly consider stopping it as the discomfort from the dental procedure hopefully is minimal at this time out. I would then be watching for any vomiting or black stools as a potential indication of a stomach ulcer forming. The chance of this seems not that likely if the Pepcid AC is started and the rimadyl stopped.

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian