Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog has allergies and our vet has us give her a Benadryl…

My dog has allergies...

My dog has allergies and our vet has us give her a Benadryl every 12 hours. We went out of town and left her with my dad- he accidentally gave her a 200 mg ibuprofen twice yesterday and this morning. She vomited once this morning but other than that is acting fine. She weighs 39 pounds.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your dog eat anything unusual?

Yes please see first message

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is your dog's name and age?

Daisy. She is 15 months old

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/18/2018
DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian

Hi

Dr. Paul Brazzell here

No blood in the vomit?

Paul

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No blood at all

Okay

The amount given is of concern

The GI signs are due to the Ibuprofen

The risk is that there will be damage to the kidneys also

We should give Zantac at 1.0 mg/kg three times a day to settle the stomach

And it would be prudent (you dont have to) to get the kidney levels checked to make sure that there has not been any damage

If they do see problems then aggressive fkuid therapy can be given to try and protect them

Paul

Still there?

Paul

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
thank you. Will try that

Okay great

Just wanted to make sure you received last text :)

Okay good luck and keep me updated

And you can rate me now- I will leave this link open for your updates

Paul

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
DocPaul
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hi, she's doing good. Seems to be perfectly normal. Vomited one more time - but since I've been giving her the stomach medicine she hasn't shown any symptoms of anything being wrong at all. She is eating, drinking, going to the bathroom normally.

Great news!!

Okay I will close his link out after you rate me

Be well

Paul

DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian
DocPaul
DocPaul
DocPaul, Veterinarian