Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My friend has a Russel puppy who's been sick since this past…

My friend has a Jack...
My friend has a Jack Russel puppy who's been sick since this past Thursday. She first presented with a fever of 104.5. we took her to the vet. He did a parvo test which was negative. He never really said what was wrong, only that it was probably viral. He sent her home on an antibiotic similar to sulfa drud (I can't remember the name) and an anti-inflammatory. She presented this morning with a rash all over her. I suspect she's allergic to one of the meds she's on, but I'd like to know what you think. She's still running a fever too.
3/18/2018
petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian

Hello. Welcome to JustAnswer. I am Dr Z. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with a reply ASAP.

Thanks for trusting me to help you and Lucy today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 30 years of experience and would be happy work with you but need a bit more information to better assist you if you don’t mind.

Was any blood work run on Lucy?

Is she vomiting or having diarrhea?

Is she eating and drinking normally?

Has she had all of her puppy vaccinations?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
No..no b no bloodworkl, blomiting or bloodwork, no vomiting or diahrea, she's drinking fairly well and her appetite is good

The fever definitely bothers me and I would be looking for the source. I would run blood work and have xrays performed to try to identify if there was any signs of infection or inflammation anywhere in her body to be causing a fever, especially if not resolving. Could be viral, but if so, should be resolving in a few days. If this persists, I would definitely want a further work up. As far as the rash, it could be a drug reaction. Since there is no reason that antibiotics are indicated (no proof that bacteria are involved), and the anti-inflammatory doesn't appear to be doing anything for the fever, I would stop it for 24 hours and see if the rash improves.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you. Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
She has stopped both meds. I just took her temp and it's normal, 100.7...the rash looks somewhat better. I agree with you about blood work and x-rays. My friend, like me is on a fixed income and didn't have the money for a full work up. She didn't qualify for credit care either. I know that vets aren't in this for free, but so help me if I was seeing a suck animal, I couldn't help myself. I'd be compelled to do a workup instead of guessing. That's just me though, I very compassionate when it comes to animals. ❤️❤️❤️❤️

Hopefully the fever will stay down and this will be the end of it. Good luck.

petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I hope so too. Thank you
petdrz
petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian