Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog had recent surgery for urate bladder stones and also…

Customer Question
my dog had recent surgery...
my dog had recent surgery for urate bladder stones and also has IBS. He is a rescue with high stress levels.He started 3 days ago with green diarrhea and is not going away with anything. Tried with probiotics and activate charcoal but no response. In one point went from green fluid to golden brown fluid but back to green now.. I was given Tylan powder but not sure the dose ?
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/18/2018
Dog Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 1 month ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Have there been any changes to the diet? New food, including a change of flavors or protein source within the same brand? New treats? Bones? Has any human food been fed? Torn up toys or trash? Stressful changes to the environment? Addition of medication?

What food is he being fed currently?

Any vomiting?

How much does he weigh?

Is he on any medication currently?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
He weights 75 pounds. no vomit. no meds. he had recent bladder stone surgery and IBS treated with homeopathy 2 months ago. is being feed with steam chicken , and vegetables . All started on Wednesday evening and got worse. Tuesday I left him with new dogs sitters and did not went well apparently but they did not say anything else . no new bone,s now new treats

Can you tell me how the IBS was originally diagnosed and treated?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
IBS was diagnosed two months ago when he had his first episode for chronic diarrhea with lot of mucus and some blood on-off for more than 1 week and stool test were negative. the vet treated with homeopathy and resolved immediately, never had any problem until this past Wednesday that he started again. He has been with me since October 2017, is a rescue from Puerto Rico with lot of health issues and behavior problems due to brutal abuse and neglect.

And were you able to restart the homeopathy that worked for him before?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It was done as an unique dose only that time, I have contacted the vet on Friday but she is out of the offcie until Tuesday. I am hoping she can at least answer my emails tomorrow, otherwise I will have to get him to a hospital. THat is why I am here hoping you can help me out
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have him pumpkin this afternoon and so far t=his last episode was at 4pm and now is 8:40pm, at least 4 hours without going.

I do think it would be wise to try repeating the homeopathy. You can try the Tylan powder, as well, if you wish. The dosing information is available here: https://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/drug-library/library/tylosin-tylan-for-dogs-and-cats/ Since he's had profuse diarrhea it's likely that his bowels have been cleared of fluid, so it may be 12+ hours before you see any stool production. I would make sure that any steps you take are kept up for at least 48 hours as you're not likely to see vast improvement immediately. If you discontinue probiotics, for example, before they have a chance to work you'll be unaware if this is effective or not. I personally have never found charcoal to help with stool, so this is not an approach I would take. I do think using the chicken/rice/pumpkin and probiotics are worthwhile efforts. And you have the tylan dosing infromation if you wish to add that in, as well. Make sure that your companion is drinking well (water, low sodium broth, pedialyte, etc) to prevent dehydration since he's lost a lot of fluid through diarrhea.

I hope this information has been helpful. I will be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further. Also, before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me (bottom of the page if using the app). A 5-star rating is appreciated as top notch answers are my focus. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply so that I may help until you’ve received the assistance you need. Until you issue a rating, the website will not compensate me for helping you. You will still be able to chat with me even after issuing a rating at no further charge on this thread.

I will also check in with you over the next few days to be sure you don’t need any additional assistance. If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
thank you. How can I measure in power to give him ? says 10-20mg/kg but I have powder, not sure how to measure the dose in table spoons of powder ? how often/how many times per day should I give him a dose ?

Can you share a picture of the dosing information from the container? It should say grams per tsp or similar.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I do not have a container, a fried gave me a ziploc bag with some of the powder only.

Unfortunately, I wouldn't use this product then. There's more than one Tylan powder on the market and if you give too much you may wind up in the hospital with Cassius. I would continue using the steps you've taken so far for the sake of being safe.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok, I will watch him very closely and if my vet does not answer and the diarrhea tonight continues I will take him to the hospital tomorrow first thing in the morning.

You're very welcome. I hope he does well. Good luck!

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse