Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog had dental surgery a couple weeks back. We were

My dog had dental...

My dog had dental surgery a couple weeks back. We were unaware she had a dental abscess that had gone into her sinuses (she showed no signs of pain, supposed to be routine cleaning). The vet screwed up a bunch of stuff, and I took her to a second vet a week later. They determined she needed a $2,000 surgery, claiming the original vet did not use enough stitches. Then they "ran out of time" on her scheduled surgery day. They said they had no openings for A WEEK. I question whether or not she needed this "urgent" procedure. She is not sneezing, but she is "hacking" like people do at the end of a cold. I see the original vet under-prescribed clindamycin, dosing just .75ml for a 12-pound dog. I would like to put her on a correct dose of clindamycin for the correct length of time, and if the phlem hacking doesn't clear up, have her seen by yet another vet. FYI, the cough is not bordetella - she is current there. Sorry for the missive - lots playing in here!

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Coughing can be worrying. The Expert will know what you should do. What is the dog's name?

Selah. She is a "tweenie" weenie dog.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about your dog?

Nope, she is happy, healthy, 7-8 years old.

3/18/2018
petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian

Hello. Welcome to JustAnswer. I am Dr Z. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with a reply ASAP.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks - one thing I neglected to mention... the stitches were to close the hole that extracting her main front canine tooth left. It does not look pussy, and is slowly closing.

Thanks for trusting me to help you and Selah today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 30 years of experience and would be happy work with you but need a bit more information to better assist you if you don’t mind.

Did she have an extraction of a tooth along with the surgery? Do you know what tooth it was?

Does she have an open tract from her mouth into her sinus still?

What strength is the Clindamycin (mg/ml) is the liquid you are giving?

That is what I thought you were describing. An extraction of the canine tooth that resulted in a extraction site closure that broke down. It is hard to tell when she is awake if there is still communication between the oral cavity and the nasal sinus. If there is, it is dangerous and a source of possible aspiration of food or liquid into her lungs. Some of these will close on their own as the site heals from the "inside out" but if it remains open, a gingival flap surgery is usually needed to close the communication (fistula) between the mouth and nasal cavity.

If you are receiving an offer for a phone consultation, please note that it is not from me. It is autogenerated by the site. I am not able to offer phone consultations at this time, but would be happy to continue chatting with you here.

petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian
DrRoyC
Phone call session started
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I did push the "switch to phone" option. This is confusing.

I am sorry that it is confusing to you. As experts, our screen looks completely different than the screen you are presented with.

Did you get my last reply?

Are you able to tell me the mg/ml of the clindamycin liquid you are giving?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I did receive a call. My hope was to give my dog the proper dose of antibiotics for the proper time and then see a dental vet if this didn't work. I did not realize you cannot do anything except dispense advice. Had I known this, I would not have wasted your time or mine.In any case, thanks for your help... I realize you probably don't make the rules. Enjoy your day.

Your are welcome. I hope that that fistula heals on it's own (some do). Hopefully the other vet you talked to was able to verify the dosing of antibiotics for you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The problem was the original vet underdosed her, so she was never properly treated to begin with. The antibiotics are gone. I did not ask for verification of dose. I hoped to give her the proper dose for the proper length of time. You can't help with that since you can't prescribe.

Just to clarify, she may not have been underdosed. For a dog of her size, her dose would be anywhere from about 30-60 mg twice a day. Clindamycin liquid comes in 2 strengths. On is 25 mg/ml and the other is 75 mg/ml. If she was prescribed the 75 mg/ml, it would have been the proper dose for her.

Also to make sure that you understand, when there is an abscessed tooth, especially involving the sinus, the most important part is extracting the tooth. Many vet dentists will not even treat with antibiotics after extraction as the source of the infection has now been removed. If there is a fistula still from the extraction site not healing and keeping the communication between mouth and nasal sinus, antibiotics would not be the way to treat that. So even though she is not on antibiotics now, it should not have a bearing on if the site heals or not. I hope that makes sense.

petdrz
petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian