Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Why would a dog eat dirt? She started eating dirt, she

Customer Question
Why would a dog...

Why would a dog eat dirt ?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dog?

She started eating dirt , she vomited once in the last week and it was yellow stomach fluid

Veterinarian's Assistant: Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?

Not that i know of . we started feeding her canned chicken and she seems to keep it down but she still eats some dirt .

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. The Expert will know what to do. What is the dog's name and age?

She is 8 1/2 years . her name is ginger

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Ginger?

No . she had trouble with bladder leaking but the vet put her on proin and that problem was solved .

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/18/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian replied 4 months ago
Scott Perry
Scott Perry, Dog Veterinarian

Hello. My name is***** and I am a veterinarian that can answer your question. I understand you have a question about why Ginger is eating dirt. I hear she has vomited recently as well. Can you please tell me if Ginger has a chronic history of upset stomach such as vomiting, loss of appetite, or loose stool, or is this one of the first times vomiting has occurred?