Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Guinea Pig is not eating and barely drinking and its sunday…

Customer Question
Guinea Pig is not...

Guinea Pig is not eating and barely drinking and its sunday witno vets open

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the guinea pig's name and age?

Honey female 5 yrs

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the guinea pig's name?

Honey

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Honey?

Just that she is not pooping either and usually she does alot

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/18/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

I’d like to help with your concerns about Honey’s lethargy, and lack of an appetite and stool production.

You are right to be concerned as a guinea pig that doesn’t eat well is in big trouble. Their gastrointestinal system needs to have food constantly moving through it or normal motility will be lost and there will be overgrowth of bad bacteria. Once the gastrointestinal tract is empty it slows down, and stools become few and far between. When we are no longer seeing any stools the guinea pig may have total stasis and that is a crisis.

If she is refusing to drink water as well that is very worrisome too as they can quickly become dehydrated.

I suspect her lethargy is a direct result of her not eating and drinking and a reflection of how sick she is.

It isn’t possible for me to know what started all of this without physically examining her but possible causes include vitamin C deficiency, which leads to painful joints and poor mucous membrane health which can make eating and chewing painful, a respiratory infection, overgrown teeth or spurs on the teeth, especially the premolars and molars which can develop painful spurs over time with wear that make eating painful, or metabolic diseases like kidney disease or diabetes, or even cancer.

But my concern right now is also with her gut. She needs to eat and she especially needs fiber to get her intestines moving properly.

Make sure to have fresh timothy or mixed grass hay available to her at all times.

Because she won’t eat on her own I highly recommend force feeding her. You can use a medicine syringe and feed her ground up pellets mixed with water or orange juice or vegetable baby foods (carrots, squash, and green beans seem to work best). If you can find it Oxbow critical care for guinea pigs is even better as it is a balanced diet that can be force fed. Oxbow critical care can be purchased through your veterinarian or some pet stores may carry it. You will need to force feed every couple hours during the time she’s awake.

I also recommend getting her some probiotics to replace the good bacteria. Nutramax company makes Proviable, which is a pretty good product. If you had another healthy guinea pig available you could make a slurry of his or her night droppings and sterile water. These droppings are rich in beneficial bacteria and trace elements and vitamins essential for good health.

If it is cold where you are put her in a travel cage with lots of bedding to snuggle in or place a heating pad under part of her cage set on low to give her warmth. We don’t want her wasting too many calories just trying to keep warm.

Then do your best to have her seen by a veterinarian that is familiar with guinea pigs. I’m afraid finding one today on a weekend may be very difficult. Here is a link to help you find a guinea pig veterinarian:

http://www.guinealynx.info/vetlist.html

If there isn’t one close to you then call local veterinarians and ask about their experience with guinea pigs. Here is a link that will give you tons of information about guinea pigs:

http://www.guinealynx.info/index.html

It has been my pleasure to help you today, and I hope that I have earned my 5 star rating. Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). You are welcome to ask follow up questions about my response here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Kara

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for Honey. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian