Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My dog, Dodger a 2 yr old Shnauzer is super picky about his…

My dog, Dodger a 2...
My dog, Dodger a 2 yr old Shnauzer is super picky about his food!! I'm at my wit's end with him!!! He will only eat canned food and sometimes he won't even eat. He's had all if his shots and has been wormed. It's gotten to the point of his losing weight. Any suggestions?
3/18/2018
petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian

Hello. Welcome to JustAnswer. I am Dr Z. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with a reply ASAP.

Thanks for trusting me to help you and Dodger today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 30 years of experience and would be happy work with you but need a bit more information to better assist you if you don’t mind.

Can you tell me for how long this has been going on?

Has Dodger had a recent veterinary exam to see if there may be a physical reason for his refusing to eat?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Dodger was born with an esophageal obstruction and had to have surgery to correct it. He was my son's dog at that time and he required special feeding,ie puried food. Since I've had Dodger ( going on a yr) he's been this way. One day he'll eat a certain flavor of food, the next he totally refuses the food. Dodger has been checked by his vet and there's no physical cause that can be found. I'm really worried about his appetite due to his weight loss. He simply refuses to eat some days!! Help!!

Is he still needing to have his food made into a gruel?

Have you been able to introduce any home cooked food?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
He eats only canned dog food and yes there are some foods I've cooked that he will eat, but as I said before, one day he'll eat it and the next he literally looks disgusted and walks away

There is a new product that has been recently released that shows promise to help dogs like this. It is called ENTYCE and is an appetite stimulant that works in a different way than most others we have had access to in the past (which were not very successful). I personally have not used this product yet, but have talked to others who have and it seems to help many dogs. Here is a link with more information so you can discuss with your vet and see if it may be good for Dodger. LINK HERE

If that is not successful, and if there has been no physical reason as of yet that can explain his intermittently poor appetite, it is very likely there is disease present, but that it is hiding very well and the most common place is the GI tract. I have had many dogs diagnosed with low grade GI disease when they were scoped and had intestinal biopsies taken, even when every other test leading up to it was normal . Something to keep in mind if his weight loss and poor appetite continues.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you. Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Something I forgot to say. In trying to find ways to get him to eat. I can sometimes put it on the bare floor and he gobbles it up??? Wierd I know, but I'll try anything. I've begun to think it phsycolgical! Maybe he needs a shrink...lol I'll go to the link you gave me and read. I'm in a fixed income and things are so costly it becomes a problem. Thank you for answering so promptly!

Even if it is psychological, the new appetite stimulant may help. Good luck. Please don't forget to rate my service.

petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian

I'm just following up on our conversation about Dodger. How is everything going?

petdrz
petdrz
petdrz
petdrz, Veterinarian