Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 8 month old puppy presented with a fever of 104.5 on

Customer Question
My 8 month old...

My 8 month old puppy presented with a fever of 104.5 on Thursday. Took her to the vet. They did a parvo test, which was negative. The vet sent her home on antibiotics and an anti-inflammatory. This morning she presented with a horrible rash all over her.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the puppy's name?

Lucy Lou

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Lucy?

Yes, she hasn't had her puppy shots as of yet

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/18/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Dan M., Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. Dan M.
Dr. Dan M., Veterinarian
I am sorry your puppy has been unwell and now has a rash. Fevers in dogs can be caused by several groups of problems including infection (bacterial, viral and parasitic) inflammation, immune type disease and rarely certain cancers.
Fevers are common in dogs and can be an intitial indicator of a problem developing (just like us feeling unwell/hot before we get a cold or flu). Anti inflammatories are given to reset the bodies thermostat to maintain a normal temperature. The most important thing at the moment is that your puppy is alert, eating and drinking and isn't vomiting or has diarrhoea.
It is difficult to link the rash with the fever (it maybe a coincidental problem or indeed a reaction to the drugs Lucy has been given). As long as the rash isnt itchy or looks like petechiae (look at this link https://www.google.co.uk/search?client=ms-android-samsung&dcr=0&biw=360&bih=318&tbm=isch&sa=1&ei=a7WuWvbvN4-SkwWbk7T4BQ&q=petechiae+dog&oq=petechiae+dog&gs_l=mobile-gws-img.1.0.0l2.3941.4761..5521...0....331.511.3j3-1..........1..mobile-gws-wiz-img.......0i67j0i8i30.l1M3Hyfa%2F88%3D#imgrc=jb3jPLS8D93U4M:) I would be happy having Lucy checked tomorrow and not as an emergency today. The commonest rashes we see in dogs her age are minor skin infections/allergies and the antibiotics she is on may help. Aloe vera gel can be applied to sooth the rash if it feela warm or is itchy.
The petechiae can be a sign of a bleeding disorder which would be a VERY RARE cause of some of her signs.
I hope that all makes sense. To recap the problems you describe are common signs of mild disease in young dogs but can relate to rarer conditions that maybe more serious. At the moment it is important Lucy is well and happy in which case a check up with your vet is a good plan tomorrow. If she is unwell now or the rash appeara like the image attached then a check today maybe good.
Good luck and I am sure she will be fine
Regards
Dr Dan
Dr. Dan M.
Dr. Dan M.
Dr. Dan M., Veterinarian