Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

We have a 1 year old pyr pup who got into something

Hi, we have a...

Hi, we have a 1 year old pyr pup who got into something yesterday. We came home and her eye was swelled up and she is scratching like crazy. We gave her benadryl to ease the itch and fight any allergic reaction she may be having. But she was restless all night, could not settle. We did some research today and found that meloxicam could help with any aches or pain. We have meloxicam for another dog with arthritis. Here is the question. We gave her a very low dose this morning ( below the amount for her body weight) just to give her some relief. It worked but only until now. How often can we give meloxicam a day in a case like this?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the dog's name and age?

Seraphina and approximately 1 year old. We run a rescue so we are not 100% sure her age but right around a year.

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Seraphina?

1 year

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Seraphina?

She is very sensative to meds. We have stayed away from them as she grew.

3/18/2018
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Ok

I'm sorry to hear about Seraphina.

Anti-inflammatories can help in these cases, but even though you gave a lower than normal dose I DO NOT recommend giving any more sooner than every 24 hours. This drug can be toxic to the kidneys and cause gastrointestinal upset and ulcers. We don't know how much of the drug is still in her body and I would not want to over dose her.

You should continue to give her Benadryl (diphenhydramine only don't use the combination products with decongestants or acetaminophen as they can be toxic for dogs) at a dose of 1mg to 2mg per pound or one 25mg capsule per 15 to 25 pounds of body weight orally every 8 hours. Given her sensitive nature stick to the 1mg per pound of body weight dose. You'll need to give it for at least 72 hours (3 days) to allow the allergen time to clear. If you stop too soon the reaction will recur.
Dogs take a really high dose of antihistamines compared to people, so don't let the amount worry you. They require more than we do. This may make her a little sleepy.
You can also apply a cool compress to the worst areas and/or give her a cool water bath with an oatmeal based shampoo to soothe her skin. The cool water will close skin capillaries and reduce inflammation and oatmeal reduces inflammation. Lather gently, let it sit for several minutes and then rinse with cool water.
And then you'll need to watch her closely for any progression of symptoms. That includes difficulty breathing, vomiting or diarrhea.
The swelling/redness should resolve slowly over the next 12 to 24 hours.
In extreme allergic reactions they can get shocky and collapse but you should see difficulty breathing and vomiting/diarrhea first. Those types of severe reactions are very rare.
Most reactions are managed just fine with antihistamines alone.
Because you know now that she has these types of reactions you should keep Benadryl on hand at all times.
If you notice progression of her symptoms don't wait, have her checked on an emergency basis.
If you'd like you can have a veterinarian check her now. Let them know you gave a dose of Meloxicam however as that may preclude giving a cortisone injection, which would lessen symptoms faster. We should not give nonsteroidals and steroids at the same time as that increases the chance of gastrointestinal ulcers and organ damage.

It has been my pleasure to help you today, and I hope that I have earned my 5 star rating. Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). You are welcome to ask follow up questions about my response here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

We gave her 1/4 of a 7.5 mg pill. She was 50 lbs the last rime we weighed her. So thats about a half dose based on our research. She's just really uncomfortable and the benadryl is not giving her the releif she needs. Is there anything else you might suggest instead of meloxicam?

We cannot safely use different nonsteroidals concurrently, there needs to be a washout period between them.

If she has not had another dose of Benadryl that is essential, as without it the allergic reaction will continue.

As far as Meloxicam the initial recommended dose for a 50 pound dog would have been 5mgs, then tomorrow she should get 2.5mgs.

If she was given 1.875mgs this morning you could give her another 1/4 of the 7.5mgs 12 hours after her first dose, but then you will need to wait 24 hours after that to give another dose tomorrow night.

Try ice packs on the affected ares too.

How oftwn should we dose with Benadryl? We have been told every 4 hrs but all research online says every 8 hrs. Once again we want to ease her suffering, not cause more.

I would dose Benadryl every 8 hours.

Ok. Thank you.

You are very welcome. My best to your pup.

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian