Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My 5 y/o golden doodle was just in for immunizations

My 5 y/o golden...

My 5 y/o golden doodle was just in for immunizations yesterday and we did annual blood work as he had vomited, once, 3 days prior with no other issues. His lipase was 4000. Our vet said to keep to only his food (Taste of the Wild-salmon) and zero treats or veggies. He has not seemed in pain and was playful last night. When we had returned from church there was yellow bile on the step. He does not appear in pain. Do I need to take him to ER Vet or monitor, wildhold food with maybe small amounts of rice?

Veterinarian's Assistant: OK. What is the dog's name?

Jack.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Jack?

Not really. He does have some food allergies. Otherwise very healthy.

3/18/2018
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Are you still revising?

Of course you are concerned hearing that your pup Jack has an elevated lipase level.

The good news is that other than one episode of vomiting he seems to feel fine.

Was this reading part of the usual biochemistry profile, or was it a separate test called a can spec PL (canine specific pancreatic lipase)?

The reading that is part of the normal biochemistry profile is not an accurate reading in dogs, because dogs have several sources of lipase elevations besides the pancreas itself.

I have more information for you, but I wanted you to have this to start and to know which type of test the results were from

Increase in Lipase levels in dogs seen on routine biochemistry profiles can also come from the gastrointestinal tract, white blood cells, the liver, lungs, heart, and secondary to poor kidney function.

If the test was a can spec PL (lipase specifically made by the pancreas) then we do need to consider that either the pancreas is inflamed and over producing, or the intestinal tract isn't clearing it as it should.

If you want to be cautious avoiding high fats or spicy foods would be best.

But if your pup is feeling fine and this was a reading from a biochemistry panel I would not be overly concerned, and an ER visit is not necessary.

It has been my pleasure to help you today, and I hope that I have earned my 5 star rating. Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). You are welcome to ask follow up questions about my response here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
What should I look for to know when/if I should take him in?

Was the test that measured his lipase level one from his biochemistry profile or a can spec PL (canine specific pancreatic lipase) test?

Truly you may not have anything to worry about.

Signs of pancreatitis include a lack of appetite, repeated vomiting, tense, splinting, painful abdomen, fever, and lethargy. Those should prompt a veterinary visit.

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian