Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

I have a 5 1/2 year old female bulldog. She was very sick…

I have a 5...

I have a 5 1/2 year old female bulldog. She was very sick during her first year of life, but after a lot of surgery at age 9 months, she has been very healthy ever since. Today, as we were picking up her poop, we noticed very bloody pus in her stool. We have never seen this before. Everything else about her life is unchanged. No new food, no new activities, and no changes in her eating/elimination habits. Do we need to take her in to see a vet today or can it wait until our vet's office opens tomorrow? What could be wrong?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. What is the Bulldog's name?

Beulah Pearl.

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Beulah?

I don't think so. She is not on any meds. She has no health problems that we can see. Still eating, playing, and going to the bathroom as always. She mostly just lays in front of the fireplace all day and lives to eat.

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/18/2018
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you today! Please give me a few moments to respond and I will be back momentarily!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Ok. Thanks.

I am so sorry your dog has some gi upset today. I can give you some basic guidelines but if there is no improvement then please consider a veterinary er since these signs are signs of colitis (inflammation of the colon). The causes are multiple and can include a virus, stress (emotional or physical which you have listed is not the case), metabolic or unknown and can lead to more concerning illness and we definitely do not want this to progress. Below is more information on hemorrhagic gastroenteritis or HGE

http://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/diseases-conditions-of-dogs/stomach-intestine-liver-or-pancreas/hemorrhagic-gastroenteritis-hge

- Begin Pepcid 0.25 mg/ pound (famotidine) every 12 hours for 3 days to help settle the stomach

- Wait 12 hours to feed to allow the gi contractions to subside that are causing the bloody stools

- Mix white rice with boiled lean meat such as chicken which is high in fiber but also bland to the intestinal tract and enticing to the appetite as well in small more frequent meals. No regular dog food please. You can add water to ensure that there is no dehydration but you also want to do water in moderation because large amounts of water will increase risk of vomiting

- If you are able, getting up and walk. Walks are great in reducing gi spasms, nausea, and entice the appetite but if not up for it that is also alright

Indications of cause for concern:

- Gums are pale, yellow, brick red and sticky indicating dehydration

- Vomiting or diarrhea with blood in it that is progressing or not resolving in the next 2-4 hours

- Increased lethargy or difficulty getting comfortable

- Swollen abdomen

- Respiratory rate > 60 while at rest

- Temperature rectally <99 or >103.5

- No interest in food for 24+ hours

- No urination for 12+ hours

- Trembling without resolution for more than an hour

- Productive coughing

- Taking a "play bow" or what looks like a downward dog position which is abdominal distress

I hope this information is helpful. Please let me know how else I can assist you both today and I truly hope your dog is feeling better soon.

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you. I will be watching for those things and I will follow your recommendations.

You are very welcome, thank you for the positive rating and let me know if anything changes and you need further guidance

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian