Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

She had developed a cough/ weeze last night as if something…

She had developed a...

She had developed a cough/ weeze last night as if something was stuck in her though. She is eating and drinking fine. I picked up a dog for a friend from a boarding. I only had her 5 hours . Just found out she has a cold developed from the boarding that started 2 days ago. Could my dog have caught it ?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Coughing can be worrying. The Expert will know what you should do. What is the dog's name?

Lilo

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Lilo?

No. She is almost 4 very active aussie

3/18/2018
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help with this concern about Lilo.

​Please give me time to type back a response for you. Thanks for your patience, Deb

It does sound as if your friend's dog likely gave Lilo kennel cough which is secondary to either a viral or bacterial infection and can be contagious between dogs. If a bacterial infection, then these dogs respond to oral antibiotics pretty quickly. But if this is a virus , then it will have to run it's course....which is usually between 10-14 days. Kennel cough tends to worsen before improvement is seen and gradually improves rather than abruptly stopping unless this is a bacterial infection and antibiotics are started.

While this condition is usually transmitted between dogs (such as in a boarding or day care situation), we can bring home pathogens on our clothes or shoes which can then infect our dogs. In other words, there doesn't have to be direct contact between dogs for this condition to develop although there usually is.

There are other conditions such as pneumonia or Canine influenza which mimics kennel cough in the early stages but these dogs rapidly become siclk.

As to over the counter treatment options, cough suppressants can be given although I'm often hesitant to use them if kennel cough is the problem. I want those secretions removed from the upper airways and I rarely want to inhibit this reflex but acceptable ones to use include Dextromethorphan. The dose would be 0.25 to 1 mg/lb 2-3 times a day. You just want to double check labels and ensure that the formulations only contain this ingredient although inclusion of Guaifensin is fine.

http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/dextromethorphan-robitussin-dm

I'd also advise that you feed dry dog food (if this is what you feed) soaked in water for 15-20 minutes which turns the food into mush and is less likely to cause more irritation when it's swallowed.

​If Lilo worsens in any way, then a vet visit may be a good thing to do but at this point, this isn't an ER type of situation in case you were wondering.

I hope this helps, Deb

I can get this at the local pet store?

This is actually a human product which you should be able to find at most any pharmacy. It's not a pet medication per se, in other words but it can be given to dogs. Deb

Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Deb