Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Our 3 month old cavachon puppy threw up three times during…

Our 3 month old...

Our 3 month old cavachon puppy threw up three times during the middle of the night. He seemed fine for a while but just threw up two more times.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the puppy eat anything unusual?

Not that we are aware of he may have got into some grass or dirt in the back yard. He’s also been trying to eat the carpet.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the puppy's name?

Benny

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Benny?

He had his first vet checkup on Monday and his fecal sample showed he has giardia, but that was all that was wrong with him.

3/18/2018
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you today! Please give me a few moments to respond and I will be back momentarily!

Okay thank you

I am so sorry to hear your puppy is showing gi upset. If this continues please get him to your veterinarian or a veterinary er because he is so tiny and is not getting the nutrients he needs. Puppies simply don't have the reserves of adult dogs and vomiting can lead to decline rapidly without medical intervention.

First, please remove the water. If there is continued actively vomiting we want to minimize anything orally to stop the nausea and abdominal cramping resulting in vomiting. I know the thought is your pet needs to drink to maintain hydration but if there is actively vomiting even water there is risk of becoming more dehydrated with water intake.

1- Keep indoors to avoid eating grass/ leaves for 6-8 hours from last vomiting episode

2- Offer a small amount of water (1-2 teaspoons hourly) for a few hours

3- Start Pepcid (famotidine) 0.25 mg/ pound every 12 hours OR prilosec (omeprazole) 0.5 mg/ pound daily for the next 3 days with the second administration of water (crushed if needed)

4-If no vomiting, offer small amount of white rice and boiled boneless or ground chicken or ground beef. For example, one teaspoon hourly for a few hours then slowly start to increase the amount while reducing the frequency. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.

5- If vomiting continues after doing the above, I would encourage having your family veterinarian perform an examination to determine the next step to getting your puppy Benny comfortable and what exactly the underlying cause is.

Indications your puppy should be seen by a veterinary er sooner include: sticky gums that are pale, yellow, blue, purple, temperature rectally >103.5, progressive lethargy with less responsiveness to you, vomiting or diarrhea that includes blood, resting respiratory rate (breaths per minute) >60, swollen abdomen.

I always worry about these little guys with vomiting this period of time so if there is no change please have him seen today. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both

Thank you for your help. He’s napping right now. He has not seemed lethargic after he vomits. He acts himself, so we are going to see how he’s doing when he wakes up

Great! If the vomiting continues I would really much rather treat him before he is lethargic and declining to minimize more aggressive therapy and avoid him not feeling well but hopefully this is the end of the cycle and he will rebound :)

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat with the five stars at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman