Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

The last toe on his front right paw. Looks as if he caught…

Customer Question
The last toe on...

The last toe on his front right paw. Looks as if he caught it on something. Ripped th whole toe. It happened yesterday afternoon. Today he doesn't want to even walk on it.

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

Where the toe ripped it was bleeding a little.

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name and age?

Name is***** will be 5 in may.

Veterinarian's Assistant: How old is Dan?

% in May. 5

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Dan?

No he is really healthy acts like a puppy still.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
3/18/2018
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 1 month ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you today! Please give me a few moments to respond and I will be back momentarily!

It really depends on if we just have a nail that has been lost or if we have a dislocation of the toe or fracture. Is there any swelling associated with this injury?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
It’s torn, was bleeds a bit. It looks broken. Sits to the side of his foot.

Well that definitely is a concern, if you cannot get him to a veterinary er today to take an x-ray and splint to support the toe please restrict as much as you are able (leash to potty, no steps/ stairs) please put a sock on the foot to minimize licking

But a veterinary er is advised to determine the level of fracture and whether this can be treated with a splint or with this being a weight bearing toe surgery is needed. Time is a factor in preventing this from becoming infected and replacing a displaced fracture...

I hope this makes sense and that you have the option of a veterinary er today get him pain management and support this potential fractured toe

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION with five stars at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Good evening, I wanted to check in on Dan to see if you took him to the er and how he is feeling? I would love an update when you are able before signing off

If the information I have provided was helpful I would be grateful if you would rate our chat with the five stars at the top of the screen so I am compensated for my time. Thank you and best of luck to you both, truly!

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian