Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

He's been urinating around the house over the last week and…

Hello. He's been...

Hello. He's been urinating around the house over the last week and seems to be acting a little aggressive. He's been house trained and normally uses the wee wee pad only or when he's walked outdoors. I'm thinking of taking him to the vet but i know that will cost over $500 just for tests and the visit since I don't have insurance. Other than this behavior he is fine. Not sure if it's a UTI or just strange behavior?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?

No wound. He's walking fine

Veterinarian's Assistant: What is the dog's name and age?

Oreo, he's 4 years old. Turning 5 in May

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?

He has a tendency of licking his genitals which I'm not sure if this is related since he's done that before his current behavior

3/18/2018
Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Dog Veterinarian

Welcome to JustAnswer.com! My name is***** and I have been a licensed veterinarian for 10 years. I would be happy to answer your question. I'm sorry to hear that Oreo has been having urinary accidents. You are correct that he could have a urinary tract infection, a common cause being development of bladder stones or crystals. It may be strange behavior (possibly "marking") but I would not assume this without ruling out a urinary tract infection, crystals, or stones. If a urinary tract infection goes on too long without being treated, it could cause kidney damage. It also sounds like Oreo might be having some pain and that might explain the slight aggression. I know it's costly, but it would be best for him to have a urinalysis done at your vet's office. You could call around to different clinics and ask what they would charge for an exam and urinalysis, and let them know you are on a budget.

Thank you for your response. What could have caused the UTI since it seems that's what could be the problem?

You're welcome. The urinary tract infection could be secondary to urinary crystals or bladder or kidney stones. Crystals and stones in the urine are a great surface for bacteria to grow on. Depending on the results of the urinalysis, your vet may also recommend an abdominal x-ray to check for bladder/kidney stones. Crystals may show up on the urinalysis.

Ok. Good to know. I'll have to find a vet in my area that would not charge as much for these services. Thank you

You're welcome. Good luck with him. If I have been helpful, I would greatly appreciate your 5-star rating. Thank you and have a great day!

Dr. Rachel
Dr. Rachel, Dog Veterinarian

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Rachel