Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My neighbor's dog is being treated for the flu (maybe

My neighbor's dog is...

My neighbor's dog is being treated for the flu (maybe pneumonia). He is coughing a lot, but he has only spit the mucous up once. He has an appt. at the Vet Monday morning. Is there something they could do to give him some relief?

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. Coughing can be worrying. The Expert will know what you should do. What is the dog's name?

Duke

Veterinarian's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Duke?

Yes..he has adult heart worms. He has had one treatment and was due for another when he got sick. The vet wants to get him over the hump on the respiratory issue before proceeding the heart worm treatment.

3/18/2018
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian. Please give me a moment to type my answer.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you..I thought I lost you while I was filing out the form.

I am sorry to hear your neighbor's dog has heartworms, and now possibly pneumonia or flu. This coughing could be from the heartworms, however.

Is he getting a cough suppressant? The best ones are by prescription, but you can give him Robitussin DM (only the DM formula). How big a dog is Duke?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Dachsund mix, maybe with beagle; about 12 or 15 pounds. I can tell them to ask for cough suppressant when they see the vet tomorrow. He's not been easy to give any meds to either, but they are managing.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Can we use a humidifier on the dog to give him some relief?

You can use a humidifier to see if it helps. He could take 1/4th to 1/2 teaspoon Robitussin DM every 6 to 8 hours.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you!

You are welcome; please let me know how he is doing. You are a good friend to your neighbor.

Kindly consider rating my answer to notify the website I am assisting you; you can always get back to me with questions and updates after rating.​

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Okay..will do.

Please send me updates.

Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian

Thanks for the great rating!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian